Mechanical Engineering Design
Original title in Czech: Konstrukční inženýrstvíFSIAbbreviation: M-KSIAcad. year: 2020/2021
Programme: Mechanical Engineering
Length of Study: 2 years
Accredited from: 1.9.2004Accredited until: 31.8.2022
Study programme Mechanical Engineering Design prepares students for professional practice in an era of rapidly advancing technologies. The main aim is to develop a wide range of fundamental engineering knowledge and skills. It incorporates a strong base in the engineering sciences and the project-based learning. Particular emphasis is placed on creativity, critical thinking and computer-aided engineering. Curriculum covers all phases of machine design from conception, development, prototyping, optimisation to testing.
Study programme is based on:
- Project-based learning. Solution of open-ended problems in the context of real-world needs of industry and society.
- Creative approach and thinking. Seeking for new solutions and approaches.
- Small-group work. Development of communication skills and ability to work independently.
- Multidisciplinary approach. Ability to analyse and synthetize knowledge across disciplines, both within and beyond engineering.
- Broader context of education. Industrial internships, teaching in bachelor's degree programmes, social science courses.
Key learning outcomes
Our graduates excel in both theoretical end technical knowledge, skills, and abilities essential for a mechanical engineer. They handle a whole range of methods and skills necessary for development of new devices, machines and processes. They master all the key phases of product life cycle from conception, simulation, prototyping to testing. Our graduates are innovators, who are able to apply their knowledge across disciplines. Their creativity and leadership predestine them to become technology leaders or distinguished scientists.
- Mechanics of elastic bodies (theoretical and experimental assessment of the dependence between load and deformation).
- Design of mechanical and electromechanical systems (machine, device).
- Methodology of applied research and development (prototype, method)
- Innovation and project management.
- Critical thinking and ability to work independently.
- Application of fundamental theoretical principles and methods within solution of engineering problems.
- Independent research and development.
- Team work and effective communication.
- Solution of complex and unpredictable situations requiring novel approaches.
- Initiation and implementation of discipline-specific as well as interdisciplinary cooperation.
- Understanding of the economic, social, ethical, and environmental context of engineering.
Occupational profiles of graduates with examples
Graduates can work as mechanical engineers and designers, project managers, development specialists, researchers, and engineering businessmen. Those, who are interested in scientific research or further deepening of their education, can continue in doctoral study programme. Personal stories of graduate students in Czech language may be found at: studuj KI.
Course structure diagram with ECTS credits
|ZAT||Additive Technologies||cs||5||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 13 / L - 13 / CPP - 13||yes|
|ZDP||Diploma Project I (M-KSI)||cs||6||Compulsory||GCr||C1 - 78||yes|
|ZKR||Engineering Project||cs||6||Compulsory||GCr||L - 26 / CPP - 78||yes|
|ZBW||Finite Element Method - Advanced Analyses||cs||4||Compulsory||GCr||P - 16 / CPP - 32||yes|
|ZPP||Polymer Prototypes||cs||5||Compulsory||GCr||P - 21 / L - 26||yes|
|ZRI-A||3D Optical Digitization and Inspection of Machine Parts||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 10 / L - 13 / CPP - 16||yes|
|0ZC||Academic Sources and Citations||cs||2||Elective||Cr||CPP - 13||yes|
|VG0||Introduction to Graphical Programming in LabVIEW||cs||3||Elective||Cr||L - 39||yes|
|7AZM||English - Exam B1 for MS||en||0||Compulsory||Ex||Z - 1||yes|
|ZD5||Diploma Project II (M-KSI, M-PDS)||cs||24||Compulsory||Cr||L - 130 / VD - 156||yes|
|ZD6||Diploma Seminar (M-KSI, M-PDS)||cs||4||Compulsory||Cr||C1 - 26||yes|
|TAI||Analysis of Engineering Experiment||cs||4||Elective||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / CPP - 13||yes|
|RDO||Modeling and Simulation||cs||5||Elective||GCr||P - 26 / L - 13 / CPP - 13||yes|
|TNM||Numerical Methods of Image Analysis||cs||4||Elective||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / CPP - 26||yes|
|MZH||Fluid Structure Interactions||cs||5||Elective||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / L - 13||yes|