3D Optical Digitization and Inspection of Machine Parts
FSI-ZRI-AAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course provides information in the field of industrial metrology with a focus on 3D metrological systems, standardization and measurement errors, digital data processing, inspection of machine parts and reverse engineering in mechanical engineering. Practical and theoretical knowledge in the field of modern metrology increases the interdisciplinary focus of the structural engineer.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Knowledge of the context of metrology, inspection and standardization.
- Knowledge of technologies and principles of measurement used in modern industrial metrology.
- Ability to inspect machine parts based on drawing documentation.
- Ability to process, evaluate and otherwise use digital data from metrological measurements.
- knowledge of CAD modeling, FEM, mathematics, physics and design methodology at the bachelor's degree level.
- not required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
LUHMANN, Thomas, Stuart ROBSON, Stephen KYLE a Harley IAN. Close range photogrammetry: principles, techniques and applications [online]. Dunbeath: Whittles Publishing, 2011 [cit. 2019-08-30]. ISBN 978-1-68015-385-9. Dostupné z: https://app.knovel.com/hotlink/toc/id:kpCRPP0001/close-range-photogrammetry/close-range-photogrammetry (EN)
RAGHAVENDRA, N.V. a L. KRISHNAMURTHY. Engineering Metrology and Measurements. [online]. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013 [cit. 2019-08-30]. ISBN 978-1-68015-280-7. Dostupné z: https://app.knovel.com/hotlink/toc/id:kpEMM00002/engineering-metrology/engineering-metrology (EN)
HENZOLD, Georg. Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing for Design, Manufacturing and Inspection: A Handbook for Geometrical Product Specification Using ISO and ASME Standards [online]. 2nd Edition. Elsevier, 2006 [cit. 2019-8-30]. ISBN 978-0-080-46378-0. Dostupné z: https://app.knovel.com/hotlink/toc/id:kpGDTDMIA5/geometrical-dimensioning/geometrical-dimensioning (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lectures, seminars, labs, project learning, self-study.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- test of knowledge in the field of inspection of machine parts (max. 30 points),
- submission of a report from the team semester task (max. 30 points),
- processing of a team task in Matlab (max. 10 points),
- final theoretical test (max. 30 points),
- a total of up to 100 points can be obtained, the final classification will be determined according to the ECTS scale.
Course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions: elaboration of semester project, submitting data and the poster in digital form.
Examination: will be granted after successful completion of the test focused on gained theoretical knowledge.
Language of instruction
Graduates will be able to apply theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of industrial 3D metrology and inspection of machine parts in practice.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is recommended; attendance at practicals and is obligatory and checked by the lecturer. A maximum of 2 excused absences are tolerated without the need for compensation. In case of long-term absence, compensation for the missed classes is in the responsibility of the lecturer.
Type of course unit
10 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Introduction to metrology and inspection of machine parts.
- Standards in the field of 3D measurement, measurement errors and uncertainties.
- Digital photography and its use in metrology.
- 3D metrology and principles of obtaining the third dimension.
- 3D digital data and their use in mechanical engineering.
- Optical scanning systems.
- Passive photogrammetric measurement systems.
- Coordinate measurement machines. (CMMs).
- Computed tomography in mechanical engineering.
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
Photogrammetric measurement of deformations within a semester task.
16 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Digital image information processing, camera calibration and machine vision.
- Pre-processing and processing of 3D digital data.
- Inspection of the part according to the drawing documentation (data alignment, deviations of surfaces and sections, dimensions, dimensional tolerances, geometric tolerances, measurement report creation).
- Measurement and evaluation of deformations using digital photogrammetry.
- Creation of a CAD model according to the reverse engineering approach.
eLearning: currently opened course