Diploma Project I (M-KSI)
FSI-ZDPAcad. year: 2020/2021
Students work on a given topic of the thesis. Topics are divided into three types: investigative, developmental engineering and developmental design. Investigative type of thesis is mainly based on the use of empirical methods (observation, measurement, experiment). Developmental engineering thesis is focused on the design or modification of a specific machine part or equipment. Developmental design thesis is focused on the original shape and design solution of machine or product. Each thesis is linked to the research and development project carried out at the Institute of Machine and Industrial Design or in cooperation with industrial partners.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Ability to set the goal of research and select appropriate methods for its solution.
- Ability to independently solve complex open-ended problems.
- Ability to correctly structure a larger professional text.
- Knowledge relevant to subjects passed during the study of master study programme.
- Completion of the subject Methods of Scientific and Professional Work.
- compulsory prerequisite
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BOOTH, Wayne C., Gregory G. COLOMB a Joseph M. WILLIAMS. The craft of research. 3rd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, c2008. ISBN 02-260-6566-9. (EN)
EVANS, David, Paul GRUBA a Justin ZOBEL. How to write a better thesis [online]. Third edition. Heidelberg: Springer,  [cit. 2019-08-29]. ISBN 978-3-319-04286-2. Dostupné z: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-04286-2#toc. (EN)
KAPOUNOVÁ, Jana a Pavel KAPOUN. Bakalářská a diplomová práce: od zadání po obhajobu. Praha: Grada, 2017. ISBN 978-80-271-0079-8. (CS)
ŠIROKÝ, Jan. Tvoříme a publikujeme odborné texty. Vyd. 1. Brno: Computer Press, 2011. ISBN 978-80-251-3510-5. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through exercises which are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions: active work on diploma thesis. Submission of five completed chapters of diploma thesis in accordance with the current structure and format for submission of the thesis defined by the Institute of Machine and Industrial Design.
Evaluation will be granted on the basis of presentation and delivery of four chapters of diploma thesis. Chapters 2 and 3 may be used from previous semester, chapters 4 and 5 must be elaborated during the subject. Chapters are given according to type of thesis (investigative / developmental engineering / developmental design) as following:
4. Material and methods (investigative) / Concept of structural designs (developmental engineering) / Variant design study (developmental design).
5. Results (investigative) / Final design solution (developmental engineering) / Resulting shape solution (developmental design).
The scope of the text should be approximately 60% of the scope of the thesis. Students must present and defend the solution process, completion of the subject and the actual results of the thesis in front of a three-member commission. Supervisor of diploma thesis is member of commission. Final mark is given by subject guarantor according to commission recommendation.
Language of instruction
Graduates will be able to methodologically correctly determine the goal of research, select appropriate methods for its solution, solve it and formulate the results into a professional text.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is mandatory and controlled by the teacher. Maximum of two absences is allowed. In case of long-term absence, compensation for missed classes is in the competence of the subject guarantor.
Type of course unit
78 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Areas of study are given individually by the supervisor of the diploma thesis.
- Organization and structure of the diploma thesis.
- Consultations and supervision of the student individual work with emphasis to the detailed elaboration of the following chapters of the thesis (according type):
- Material and Methods / Conceptual design / Variant design study
- Results / Final design / Resulting shape solution
- Individual presentation of partial results of the diploma thesis followed by discussion.
eLearning: currently opened course