FSI-HMUAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course is a follow up of general economic theory in particular from company management, microeconomics, statistics, mathematics, finance and accounting. The course provides basic theoretical knowledge of and practical skills in the sphere of managerial economy. It is focused on characteristics of basic corporate activities, property and capital structure of the company, financial management and economics, questions related to property and company valuation, revenues and costs from the managerial point of view, corporate activities (production, financial and investment activities) as well as personal management. The emphasis is laid first of all on the decision making process. The course addresses especially the economic aspect of given topics as well as mastering the professional terminology.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course offers students the knowledge and skills in the field of managerial economics. The students will learn how to apply their knowledge of economic theory as well as various mathematical methods. They acquire basic skill necessary for the practical application of taught topics in the sphere of business and managerial decision-making.
Knowledge of basic economic terms from the sphere of microeconomics, mathematics, corporate management, marketing, production management, accounting as well as mathematical and statistical methods.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
SYNEK, Miloslav. Manažerská ekonomika. 5., aktualiz. a dopl. vyd. Praha: Grada, 2011, 471 s. ISBN 978-80-247-3494-1.
WÖHE, Günter; KISLINGEROVÁ, Eva. Úvod do podnikového hospodářství. 2. přepracované a doplněné vydání. Praha: CH Beck, 2007. 928 s. ISBN 978-80-7179-897-2, 2007.
SYNEK, M., et al. Podniková ekonomika. 5. přeprac. a doplněné vyd. Praha: CH Beck, 2010. 528 s. ISBN 978-80-7400-336-3. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Submitting of two continuing control tests 30 points
Passing final exam 70 points
Total maximum 100 points
Grade Number of points
A 100 – 90
B 89 - 80
C 79 – 70
D 69 – 60
E 59 – 50
F 49 - 0
Language of instruction
The main objective of the course is to provide students with the knowledge and skills from the sphere of managerial economy, such as capital and property structure of the company, individual corporate activities and their mutual relations. At the same time the course is a follow up of number of courses regarding corporate finance, microeconomics and corporate management.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Active participation in lessons and exercises
Continuous preparation for seminars (individual study of literature)
Case study solution
Preparation for final exam
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
Topics of lectures are the following:
- Requirements for passing a course-unit credit. Goals and functions of the company
- Reproductive process in the company and its parts. Property and capital structure of the company
- Balance sheet. Long term assets, inventory. Valuation of corporate property.
- Revenues, costs, economic result. Corporate effectiveness.
- Managerial approach to the costs, Cost classification. Break-even point analysis. Operating lever.
- Corporate cost management. Standard costs method. New methods ABC, LCC.
- Corporate activities. Production activity of a company. Purchases. Sales. Services.
- Financial activities of the company
- Investment activities of the company
- Personal activities of the company. Corporate payroll system. Salary forms.
- Corporate bookkeeping. Interdepartmental accounting. Budgeting. statistics and analysis
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
The seminars are focused on practising the lectured topics and elaboration of case studies.