Detail in Architecture 1
FAST-AG027Acad. year: 2020/2021
At the factual study of details of particular buildings the students will acquaint themselves with the theoretical thinking of an architect – creator who, trying to find a way into the secrets of a technical detail and examine its alternatives, has to become a design engineer and acquire the knack of a number of crafts.
The aim is to produce a coherent final work - a detail showing both structural logic together with elementary crafts skills and permanent respect for the environment.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will manage the goal of the subject, i.e. survey of the development of an architectonic detail, the Arts and Crafts, parts of buildings, enclosing shell, roofs, windows, doors and gates, grading, basic building structure, staircases, building services.
The subject is included in the 3rd year of study. It applies the knowledge acquired in the preceding architectonic and engineering subjects.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Origins of the contemporary architectonic detail, Arts and Crafts, Avant-Garde
2. Properties of materials and their options of expression, traditional and new materials
4. Enclosing shell, balconies, recessed balconies, expansion joints
5. Roofs, canopies
6. Windows and sun screens
7. Roofs, gates, show windows
8. Gradings, thoroughfares, skinned areas, enclosures and fencings
9. Columns, pillars, walls, partitions, ceilings, floors
10. Staircases and lifts
11. Fixed inner fittings
12. Visible building services, distribution of services
13. Load-bearing structure joints
Survey of the development of an architectonic detail, the Arts and Crafts, parts of buildings, enclosing shell, roofs, windows, doors and gates, grading, basic building structure, staircases, building services.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.