Ethics in Business
FAST-TY53Acad. year: 2020/2021
Development of ethics in philosophy, new ethic conceptions, ethics and morality, social events and ethics, relations between ethics, economics and business, economic pragmatism, utilitarism, liberalism, introduce to management ethics, manager and ethics, firm strategy and ethics, ethics in firm philosophy, ethics in firm culture, implementation of ethics to business, principles and problems of its implementation, manager's personality, moral developmnent levels of personality, manager's role in ethic development, examples of application of ethic principles to business, knowledge of ethic and nonethic doing, relations between philosophical ethics and application in business ethics, ethic firm auditing, arguments for implementation of ethics to business.
Institute of Social Sciences (SPV)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of ethic principles and their connections with business. Understanding of human change of firm culture, manager's personality and firm strategy.
The subject follows to knowledge gained in the course of secondary education in subject "Foundantions of Social Sciences" or "Civics", therefore no other technical or economical information is needed, knowledge of basic of law, psychology, sociology, philosophy, history, interest in ethic topics, recognising and knowledge of society, connection between sociology nad psychology, basic penzum of psychology and social psychology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ARZENBACHER, Arno: Úvod do etiky. Praha: Academia, 2001. ISBN 80-200-0953-1.
LINDR, Jaroslav: Etika v podnikání. M01 Nástin etiky, M02 Etická firemní strategie, M03 Implementace etiky. Brno: FAST, 2007.
BRÁZDOVÁ, D.: Zásady společenského chování. Praha: ROAD, 1991.
ŠRONĚK, I.: Etika a etiketa v podnikání. Praha: Management Press., 1995.
KÁRNÍKOVÁ, Jitka: Etika v podnikání a řídící práci. Praha: VŠE, 1997. ISBN 80-7079-524-7.
KOHOUTEK, R., ŠTĚPANÍK, J.: Psychologie práce a řízení. Brno: Cerm, 1999.
RIEGEL, Karel: Etika a psychologie v podnikání. Praha: Karolinum, 2006. ISBN 80-246-1118-X.
BEDRNOVÁ, Eva a NOVÝ, Ivan: Psychologie a sociologie řízení. Praha: Management Press, 2007. ISBN 978-80-7261-169-0.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to ethics. Importance of ethics. Ethics and philosophy, development owerview.
2. Concepts of ethics. Traditional and modern conception. History of ethics.
3. The important ethical paradigms and personalities in history. Ethics in antiquity and the Middle Ages.
4. Ethics in Modern Ages, present ethical discourses. Metamorphosis in the relations between ethics and business. Pozitivism, existencialism and materialism.
5. Directions in ethics: economic pragmatism, utilitarism, liberalism and neoliberalism.
6. Basic elements of the ethic theories. Corporate culture and identity. Importance of ethics for the economical way of thinking.
7. Relation between ethics, economics and business. Ethics in direction, personal morality and corporate ethics, ethical-professional manager's character.
8. Ethics in management and business, fundamentals and importance. Ethical integration into business. Social firm responsibility.
9. The manager and ethics - perspectives and changes. Development of a manager personality.
10. Corporate strategy and ethics, ethics as a strategy? Implementation of ethics to firm strategy.
11. Ethical codex. Ethical auditing of a firm. A variety of ethical codexes. Non-ethical examples in behaviour.
12. Practical aspects of ethics, ethical elements in strategy planning. Modernism and postmodernism in ethics, corporate strategy.
13. Self-assessment exercise in the area of ethics and management. Ethical-social katechism.
Orientation in subject, abilities to aplication of knowledge, information and practises in professional and personal life.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.