Digital Techniques for Architects
FA-KARAcad. year: 2019/2020
Static analysis of digital model applied to selected tasks. Basics of static model assembly, analysis of internal forces, optimization using genetic algorithms. More advanced methods such as force flow finding and BESO optimization. Structural optimization - topostructure. The conclusion will be devoted to the analysis of own and canonical projects. Student completes the seminar paper. Students will be evaluated based on the submission of the seminar work.
Department of experimental design (UET)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Basic orientation in the field of architecture, fundamentals of architectural creation and creative thinking. Basic orientation in 3D programs.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Submission and classification of the seminar paper.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to digital models and their possible applications.
2. Building a basic model, data import and manipulation.
3. Basic structural models and their applications.
4. Advanced modelling methods, definition of digital and parametric model.
5. Introduction to shells and continuous structures, analysis and optimization.
6. Introduction to digital model optimization using genetic algorithms.
7. Comprehensive optimization methods using Cross section optimization.
8. Comprehensive optimization methods using BESO optimization.
9. Data visualization and their further interpretation.
10. Application of the digital model to the students project.
11. Developing optimization options and customizing your own project.
12. Application of optimization using genetic algorithms for own project and data visualization.
13. Final presentation of the students‘ projects.
Extending the competencies and knowledge of building design with respect to their structural performance.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Active participation in seminars, submission of seminar paper and its final presentation.
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer