FSI-YZ1Acad. year: 2019/2020
The subject deals with the basics of spatial modelling from the point of view of art. Practical exercises on general themes are the introduction and stimulation of visual possibilities for later specific assignments in subjects of industrial design. Study models of mass emphasize art quality of objects, clear concept of solution, logic of construction of volume, significance of proportions and relationship of the whole and details. A part of the subject is mastering the realization of models from basic materials.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course enables students to acquire knowledge for the creation and analysis of spatial objects, acquaints them with basic techniques and tools for realization of physical models of industrial Plasticine, modelling clay, plaster, HPS and other materials.
Knowledge of perspective, mastered drawing of geometric bodies and orientation in the history of art and design. An advantage is any experience with modelling.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
WONG, Wucius. Principles of Form and Design. New York: John Wiley, 1993. ISBN 0-471-28552-8.
PIPES, Alan. Foundations of Art + Design. Second edition. London: Laurence King Publishing, 2008. ISBN 978-1-85669-578-7.
PELCL, Jiří. Design: od myšlenky k realizaci = from idea to realization. V Praze: Vysoká škola uměleckoprůmyslová v Praze, c2012. ISBN 978-80-86863-45-0. (CS)
LIDWELL, William, Kritina HOLDEN a Jill BUTLER. Universal Principles of Design. Gloucester: Rockport Publishers, 2003. ISBN 1-59253-007-9.
TERSTIEGE, Gerrit, ed. The Making of Design: From the First Model to the Final Product. 2009. Basel: Birkhäuser Verlag. ISBN 978-3-0346-0089-7.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The subject is taught in the form of seminars, which are practically focused on realization of physical models with individual consultations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Acquiring credit is conditioned by attendance at seminars, submission of given assignments within specified deadlines, and oral defence of given tasks. The final evaluation is counted as the average of evaluation of three projects. The resulting classification is determined by the ECTS scale.
ECTS evaluation degrees / Pts. rating / Numeric rating: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B / 89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the creation of study models, which is a prerequisite for industrial design practice. Compositions are focused on the essence of shape and its formal and content context. The students are supervised in the scope of general assignment, which abstracts it from functional, technical and other aspects to singular concept of shape solution. The subject develops creative potential in students and supports their ability for formulate an opinion.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Participation in the seminars is compulsory. Seminars are based on weekly schedules. Determining ways to compensate for missed lessons is the responsibility of the supervisor.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B-PDS-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Assignment of 1st assignment / Composition study on general theme of basic geometric body and transforming such parts without the loss of volume into a new object, analysis of possibilities
2. 2D sketches, 3D sketches (clay, paper), variants
3. 3D sketches, modelling from industrial clay
4. Clay model, work on poster
5. Assessment of the 1st assignment / analysis of individual works, assignment of 2nd task / Composition study on theme of fixation of basic geometric body above a foundation, analysis of possibilities
6. 2D sketches, 3D sketches (clay, paper), variants
7. 3D sketches, model from plaster
8. Plaster model, work on poster
9. Assessment of the 2nd assignment / analysis of individual works, assignment of 3rd task / Composition study on theme transformation of a natural object, analysis of possibilities
10. Study of construction of a natural object, 2D sketches, 3D sketches, variants
11. 3D sketches, modelling (individual choice of material according to the selected concept)
12. Model creation, work on poster
13. Assessment of the 3rd assignment / analysis of individual works, overall assessment of the semester