FSI-0SSAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course is principally intended as a computer support for students taking up course Mathematics IV. The main purpose of this course is to introduce statistics software Statgraphics and Statistica, and statistical functions of the Excel, which are used in lessons and research at faculty institutes and departments. The acquired pieces of knowledge can be used in semester and diploma projects.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will learn how to use statistical software Statgraphics and Statistica as well as how to use statistical analytic tools in common spreadsheets. They will understand better the subject matter of Matematics IV. They will also acquire implementation skills in a statistical data analysis.
Mastering basic methods of descriptive statistics, probability theory and mathematical statistics is assumed.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Manuály software Statistica 7.0.
Karpíšek, Z.: Matematika IV. Statistika a pravděpodobnost. Brno : FSI VUT v CERM, 2003.
Karpíšek, Z. - Popela, P. - Bednář, J.: Statistika a pravděpodobnost. Učební pomůcka - studijní opora pro kombinované studium. Brno : FSI VUT v CERM Brno, 2002.
Manuály software Statgraphics for Windows.
StatSoft, Inc.: Electronic Statistics Textbook. http://www.statsoft.com/, 2005.
Anděl, J.: Statistické metody. Praha : Matfyzpress, 1993.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through exercises which are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit requirements: Continuous active work at seminars.
Language of instruction
The course objective is to make students acquainted with programs Statgraphics, Statistica and Excel, which serve as a tool for statistical and probability calculations. Students will learn how to use the software at the extent corresponding with the subject matter presented in the parallel course Mathematics IV so that they can carry out calculations needed for working out tasks assigned in this course.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is controlled and the teacher decides on the compensation for absences.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B3A-P Bachelor's
- Programme B3S-P Bachelor's
branch B-STI , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, elective (voluntary)
- Programme B3A-P Bachelor's
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Information about statistical software Statgraphics and Statistica.
2. Information about spreadsheet processor Excel.
3. Structure of data files. Display and data output.
4. Generation and editing data files.
5. Descriptive statistics. Results presentation.
6. Elaboration of the first parts of assignment.
7. Basic types of random variables distributions.
8. Generation of random numbers. Examples from the subject Mathematics IV.
9. Operations with variables. Operations with files. Data import and export.
10. Point and interval estimates.
11. Statistical hypotheses testing.
12. Exhibits of applications.
13. Finishing calculations for the semester assignment.
eLearning: currently opened course