Services of Telecommunication Networks
FEKT-MSTSAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with services provided by current telecommunication networks. Students obtain essential knowledge of technologies that are used all the time even if not preferably, i.e. ISDN services and Asynchronous Transfer Mode ( ATM). Emphasis is however on current technologies such as xDSL (ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, and VDSL) and on modern transmission connected to the SS7signalling system. Students will significantly deepen their knowledge of Internet protocol version 6 following up on IPv4 and focusing on Quality of Service QoS. They will obtain further information on IP/ATM integration and on LAN emulation. They will also be made familiar with priority control in network elements and with services over power network and cable TV.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On completing the course, students will be able to:
- analyse services provided by contemporary communication networks,
- theoretically analyse the technologies related to xDSL services,
- justify the contemporary state of ISDN usage,
- sum up the features of ISDN,
- compare ATM and other possibilities of high-speed transmission
- explore the creation of ATM cells in relation to services,
- design signalling by means of SS7,
- categorize the Quality of service, QoS,
- explore the potentials of IPv6 in QoS assurance,
- compare the possibilities of routing in network elements,
- plan LAN emulation,
- judge services transmitted over a power network and cable TV,
- practice the MySQL environment,
- configure the Jabber server,
- estimate network safety.
Student who enrol on this course should to be able to: - explain the basic terms of converged communication networks, - define the features of Ethernet-type networks, - name the principles of IPv4, - express the features of multimedia services, - apply the knowledge of obligatory subjects Theoretic Informatics. The subject knowledge on the Bachelor degree level is generally required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
STARR, T., CIOFFI, J.M., SILVERMAN, P.J.: Understanding Digital Subscriber Line technology. Prentice Hall, London 1999.
BLACK, V.: Voice over IP. Prentice Hall, London 2002.
GRIFFITHS, J.M.: ISDN Explained. John Wiley, New York 1999.
GILLESPIE, A.: Broadband Access, Technology, Interfaces and Management. Artech House, London 2001.
ŠKORPIL,V.: Služby telekomunikačních sítí. VUT, Brno 2014.
SIEGMUND, G., PRAGER, E.: ATM-technika pro širokopásmové sítě ATM. Hutig-Beneš, Praga 1997.
BLUNÁR,K., VACULÍK,M.: Digitálne siete integrovaných služeb, VŠDS, Žilina 1996.
ODOM,W., HEALY,R., MEHTA,N. Směrování a přepínání sítí. CPress, Brno 2009.
ŠKORPIL, V., VYCHODIL, P., KAPOUN, V. Efektivní využití přenosu informací pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO
ŠKORPIL, V., ENDRLE, P., KAPOUN, V. Services of Telecommunication Networks for joint teaching programme of BUT and VSB-TUO
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures, practical laboratories and computer laboratories. The part of this course is a project and a presentation of results in power point. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
0-6 points – for activity in laboratory,
0-24 points – for a mandatory test from laboratories,
0-70 points – for written exam with e-learning support, compulsory part for the completion of the course.
The exam is focused on verifying the orientation in the services of communication networks with focus on Quality of Service, IPv6 and control of network elements.
The exam from the subject will take place in person and remotely.
Language of instruction
1. Services provided by current telecommunication networks.
2. ISDN, subscriber connection configuration, terminal power supply, ISDN frame structure.
3. ATM cell, division of ATM services into classes, ATM reference model and its layers.
4. SS7 signalling system. SS7 features, signalling network, SS7 building, Message Transfer Part MTP, user parts, dynamic network routing, management of SS7.
5. Basics of TMN.
6. Technology connected with services xDSL (ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, VDSL) including theoretical analysis.
7. IP transmission over WDM network.
8. Use of integer programming in current networks, network as a graph, application of integer division to solve the shortest path, load distribution, etc.
9. Passive optical networks, access networks and their deployment, risks, experience, etc.
10. Internet protocol version 6, IPv4 relationship.
11. Quality of service QoS.
12. Data transmission and related services over power network and cable TV.
13. Telecommunication services from the point of view of economics.
The aim of this course is to give students extensive orientation in services of communication networks, offer a summary of IPv6 with a view to Quality of Service, and analyse priority routing in network elements.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at laboratories is compulsory, justified absence can be made up after prior arrangement with the instructor.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-TIT , 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, optional specialized
- Programme IBEP-V Master's
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, optional specialized