Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH)
FIT-C2PAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course learn students how to configure network switches on L2 and L3, how to implement VLAN networks, configure STP and RSTP. The part of the course is PoE configuration and WLAN networks. The course presents techniques for switch security.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students learn how to configure L2 and L3 switches including VLAN networks. They will understand STP and RSTP. They will be able to configure high-availability redundancy using HSRP and GLBP. They will learn about Power over Ethernet. They will learn how to implement WLAN networks and security switches against common threats. The obtained knowledge covers CCNP SWITCH certification requirements.
Students are required to successfully pass CCNA4 Exploration course in Network Academy or hold CCNA certification.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Přednáškové texty v angličtině.
Elektronické materiály přístupné na portálu Academy Online.
David Hucaby: CCNP SWITCH 642-813 Official Certification Guide, Cisco Press, 2010.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- Preparation and active participation at hands-on labs (max 36 points)
- Challenge lab (max 20 points)
- Skills test (max 34 points)
- To obtain Certification of Completion, all module test must be completed + skills test and final exam score must be over 80%.
- Active partication on all hands-on labs.
- Half of points of all activity is required for credits.
Language of instruction
Multilayer switching. VLAN networks. STP and RSTP implementation. High availability using HSRP and GLBP. Power over Ethernet. Implementing wireless networks. Switch security.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
- Preparation and active participation at all hands-on labs.
- Completion of all module tests.
- Missed classes are not replaced.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme IT-MGR-2 Master's
branch MBI , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
branch MPV , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
branch MGM , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
branch MSK , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
branch MIS , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
branch MBS , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
branch MIN , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
branch MMM , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme MITAI Master's
specialization NNET , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
Type of course unit
52 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Switch operations at L2 and L3, CAM table, port configuration.
- VLAN networks, trunks, VTP protocol. Link aggregation using EtherChannel.
- STP, RSTP, MSTP and PVSTP+.
- Mutlilayer switching, CEF.
- High-availability and redundancy using HSRP and GLBP.
- Challenge lab.
- IP telephony - PoE, voice VLANs, QoS for IPT.
- WLAN networks. Configuring WLAN controller.
- Voice transmision. Classification of IPT traffic.
- Switch hardening: 802.1x, DHCP snooping, DAI.
- Securing VLAN networks: ACLs, private VLANs.
- Completing labs and module tests.
- Skills text. Final Exam.
eLearning: currently opened course