Structural Engineering IV
FA-PS4Acad. year: 2019/2020
Study of building technologies and structures ( opaque and transparent parts of the enclosing
walling) which improve the energy balance of a work of architecture. Use of non-traditional and renewable sources of energy in buildings (e.g. solar radiation, wind, water, biomass, geothermal energy). The subject also covers fire protection of buildings. The aim is to impart to the students a comprehensive view on building and the knowledge needed for designing energy-saving structural systems.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students gain the knowledge enabling them to orientate themselves in the field of energy saving buildings. They get the knowledge of the active and passive use of solar radiation, and get acquainted with the concepts for designing houses with low or passive energy consumption.
In the subject Building construction IV, it is supposed that the students have completed the study of the subjects Building construction I, II, and III. Even if the students have not yet passed the respective exams, this does not hinder them from enrolling for Building construction IV. For successful study, it is considered suitable that the student regularly monitors professional jounals and books on building and architecture. Orientation in foreign
study materials is also welcomed.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
WERNER, J., CHYBÍK, J.: Pozemní stavitelství IV. Učební texty. Brno, VUTIUM, 1999. (CS)
CHYBÍK, J.: Pozemní stavitelství IV. Přednáškové texty. FA VUT v Brně, 2005. (CS)
ŠTIKAR, J.: Pozemní stavitelství IV. Přednáškové texty. FA VUT v Brně, 2005. (CS)
KOLEKTIV: Pasivní domy. Zkušenosti z Dolního Rakouska. Brno, VERONICA, 2004. (CS)
Aktuální texty a otevřené přednášky
DEPLAZES, A.: Architetur konstrurieren vom (DE)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The student has to attend at least 10 tutorials. It is his or her duty to work out all tutorial assignments under conditions defined before the beginning of the smester teaching.
At the same time, the student is subjected to a test, in which his or her understanding oft he subject matter, and the ability to apply the knowledge gained, are verified. After being granted the credit, the student is authorised to take the exmination. It contains assignment from the presented subject matter and recommended literature.
Language of instruction
1. Energy-efficient buildings - theoretical basis, categories of energy-efficient houses.
2. Energy-efficient buildings - passive and active use of solar energy in architectural work.
3. Energy efficient buildings - material options, construction of cladding, physical nature, tightness, air exchange.
4. Energy-efficient buildings - relationship of technical equipment and building structures.
5. Renewable energy sources and their influence on design.
6. Protection against the effects of solar thermal load - shielding: shutters, blinds, shutters, sunlamps, cornices, reflective glass.
7. Double transparent climatic facade.
8. Underground architecture - energy aspects, relation to the environment. Ecological buildings of technical infrastructure.
10. Structures protected by plumbing products.
11. Designing structures in buildings with wet and wet operation.
12. Fire protection of buildings I.
13. Fire protection of buildings II.
The objective is to gain a comprehensive view on the design of buildings, and knowledge applicable to designing structural systems suitable for energy saving design. Knowledge of principles and procedures of the design of houses with low or passive energy consumption.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Tutorials are monitored. The student's duty is to attend a prescribed number of tutorials. He or she can take the current test. Controlled are olso the submitted works whose technical quality of rendering and graphic level of outputs are monitored.