Fundamentals of Quality Management and Environment
FSI-BMK-KAcad. year: 2018/2019
This course provides students with information on the system of quality management (ČSN EN ISO 9001) and system of environment-oriented management (ČSN EN ISO 14001). Students get to understand the principles of the process approach to all activities performed within the system of quality management and learn to apply them also in the system of risk management. They also learn to measure the effectively of the processes and to obtain feedback for assessment of the satisfaction of customers. They understand the significance of the principle of continuous improvement of processes and the basics of management of the impacts of activities, products and services on the environment in accordance with the environmental policy and targets of an enterprise.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduates will learn to perceive:
- the risks from the viewpoint of product (or service) quality assurance,
- the importance of the principle of continuous improvement of risk-reducing processes and
- the need to control the impact of activities, products and services on the environment.
Students are required to have the basic knowledge of economics,technology, knowledge of mathematics and physics in the scope corresponding to the bachelor level of studies.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
KETTUNEN, J.: Essays on strategic management and quality assurance; OULU 2009; ACTA UNIVERSITATIS OULUENSIS C Technica 329; pp. 44; ISBN 978-951-42-9178-
Mizuno, S.: Řízení jakosti. Victoria Publishing, Praha, 1992
ČSN EN ISO 9000 Systémy managementu kvality – řada 3 svazků. ÚNMZ, Praha, 2006 – 2010
GOETSCH, D. L.; DAVIS, S. B.: Quality Management - Introduction to Total Quality Management for Production, Processing and Services; 5. ed.; June 2005; ISBN 978-0131189294
Zákon č. 22/1997 Sb. (aktuální znění) O technických požadavcích na výrobky
JURAN, J. M.; GRYNA F. M.: Juran´s Quality Control Handbook. McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, 1988
Nařízení vlády Soubor předpisů uveřejněných ve sbírce zákonů, jimiž jsou upraveny postupy posuzování shody pro skupiny výrobků nebo jejich vlastností.
Nenadál, J. a kol.: Moderní management jakosti. Management Press, Praha, 2008
Fiala, A. a kol. : Management jakosti s podporou norem ISO 9000:2000. Verlag Dashöfer, Praha, 2000 – 2006
Janíček, L. a kol: Evropská unie – instituce, ekonomická, bezpečnostní a sociální politika. Computer Press, Brno, 2003. ISBN 80-7226-819-8
Janků, M.: Evropská unie – právní system evropských společenství. Computer Press, Brno, 2003. ISBN 80-7226-806-6
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. According to the possibility of teaching can be organized lectures for students by practitioners and excursions to companies focused on activities related to the course content.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students must defend a semestral project on a given topic.
Language of instruction
The course aims to provide students with the most important theoretical knowledge supplemented by specific examples and methods of application allowing to understand the importance and challenges of the quality management and environmental protection. Lead students to acquire the knowledge of the internal and external environment of an organization and to learn to use the methods applied in the analysis of external and internal environment.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The attendance at seminars is compulsory. Lectures are voluntary, presentation of the semestral project is compulsory.
Type of course unit
17 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to course - basic terminology and definitions
2. Dimension of quality. Orientation at customer.
3. Orientation to processes and their control
4. Seven basic tools of quality management
5. Seven new tools of quality management
6. Interpretation of ISO 9000 series standards
7. Interpretation of ISO 9000 series standards - second part
8. Significance of the environmental management
9. Assessment of the environmental impacts of company processes
10. Interpretation of ISO 14000 series standards
11. Interpretation of ISO 14000 series standards
12. Process of continuous improvement
13. Presenation and defence of semestral project
35 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Basic terminology, economics, environment, business and quality
2. Company goals, property and capital structure
3. Organizational context
4. Costs of quality
5. Risk analyses
6. Process mapping
8. Environmental aspects
9. Obligatory duties of an organization
10. PDCA model
11. - 12. Semestral project of students on selected topics and discussion. Range of topics correlates with the themes of the lectures.
13. Presenation and defence of semestral projects.
eLearning: currently opened course