Characterization Methods of Inorganic Materials
FCH-MA_CMIMAk. rok: 2021/2022
The course is focused on theoretical and practical introduction of instrumental techniques for sample preparation and material analysis - X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, photoelectron spectroscopy, methods of thermal analysis (TG-DTA, EGA, TDA, DSC, CM, calorimetric analysis, etc.). ), methods of determination of particle size distribution, methods of determination of specific surface, methods of determination of thermal conductivity coefficient, elemental analysis by XRF, ICP, AAS, combustion elemental analysis, UV-VIS, IR spectroscopy, Ramann spectroscopy, ion chromatography and mechanical properties measurement. The students are acquainted with the principle of the method, its applicability, requirements for sample preparation and methods of evaluation of results obtained.
The practical part of the course is focused on the choice of a suitable method, appropriate sample preparation and correct evaluation of the results obtained.
Nabízen zahradničním studentům
Výsledky učení předmětu
Ability to work with samples of technically important groups of materials and knowledge about principles of discussed techniques and evaluation of results obtained by these techniques.
The practical part will be focused on correct sample preparation and interpretation of measured results.
The fundamentals about analysis techniques, physics and structure of materials.
Doporučená nebo povinná literatura
Pertile E., Čablík V.: Instrumentální metody analýzy (EN)
Pospíšil M.: Instrumentální metody výzkumu a analýzy I, v Praze, vydavatelství ČVUT, 2004 (EN)
Chatterjee S. K.: X-Ray Diffraction: Its Theory and Applications (EN)
Goldstein J et al.: Scanning Electron Microscopy and X-Ray Microanalysis: A Text for Biologists, Materials Scientists, and Geologists (EN)
Cloud G.: Optical Methods of Engineering Analysis (EN)
Plánované vzdělávací činnosti a výukové metody
Lectures - 2 lessons per week and Practice - 4 lessons per week. LMS Moodle e-learning system is available for teachers and students.
Způsob a kritéria hodnocení
The lecture part is finished by an oral exam, to which the student can enroll only after submitting all the protocols in the required quality. All reports must be submitted at least one day before the exam date. Evaluation of protocols makes up 30% of the final grade. At the oral exam, each student receives several questions mapping the content of the whole curriculum.
Syllabus of lectures
1) Introduction to instrumental analysis, classification of methods, sample preparation (mechanical operations, melting), definition of basic terms and basic characterization of physical properties of a sample as a method of granulometry (sieve analysis, laser diffraction), determination of specific surface (BET, Blaine), porosimetry, determination of thermal conductivity coefficient
2) Measurement of mechanical properties (tensile test, measurement of flexural and compressive strength, hardness, microhardness) and rheology (measurement of flow properties and viscosity)
3) Introduction to spectrometric methods and UV / VIS spectroscopy
4) IR and Raman spectroscopy
5) AAS, ICP OES, ICP MS, mass spectrometry, ion chromatography
6) Light microscopy
7) Confocal microscopy, STM, AFM
8) Electron microscopy (SEM, TEM and FIB)
9) Nuclear mgnetic resonance (NMR)
10) Utilization of X-ray radiation and X-ray fluorescence (XRF)
11) X-ray diffraction (XRD)
12) Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS)
13) Thermal analysis (TG, DTA, DSC), heat microscope, calorimetry
Syllabus of practical exercises
1) Familiarization with work safety, course conditions and division into working groups.
2) Sample preparation (grinding, particle size determination, melting)
3 (Mechanical properties (tensile test, determination of flexural and compressive strength)
6) Raman spectrometry
8) SEM + sample preparation for SEM
12) DTA and heat microscope
13) Isothermal and isoperibolic calorimetry
The aim of the course is to introduce students with the methods and principles of modern instrumental analysis of inorganic samples, including techniques of their preparation and evaluation of the results.
The aim of the practical part is to try the preparation of samples for individual methods,choose methods of their measurement and evaluation of results measured.
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění a formy nahrazování zameškané výuky
The control of the course is realized during the semester by elaboration and evaluation of protocol from each practical exercise. Attendance at lectures is recommended.
Participation in all practical tasks is obligatory. Unexcused absence is a reason for not to give credit. For each group in printed form, one protocol will be submitted within seven days after the practicing session. If the protocol is not drawn up to the required level, it will be returned for revision. Credit will be awarded after submission and evaluation of all protocols in the required quality. If this is not done by the end of the regular exam period, the group will repeat the next semester.
Zařazení předmětu ve studijních plánech