Building Structures, Environment and Energy
FA-EPESAcad. year: 2020/2021
Subject is connected with the topic of building environment and properties of building structures - thermal control and energy, acoustics and lighting. Impact is set upon energy
efficiency and its evaluation regarding present legislation and relation of energy efficiency discipline to building-physical one. Energy Law and taking the Energy Law into consideration in the design of new buildings and reconstructions. Duties of an author of the project documentation from the point of view of guaranteeing the internal microclimate in buildings.
Offered to foreign students
The home faculty only
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Ability to optimise the design of structures regarding their user and architectural requirements. Respecting current trends and requirements on energy efficiency.
Basic notions of building construction, technical services and building physics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Vaverka a kol."Stavební tepelná technka a energetika budov"VUTIUM 2006
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Examination: written examination; one regular term and two resit terms - point assessment,
min./max = 50/100 points.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to Environment and Energy
2. Thermal Protection of Buildings I – Introduction to thermomechanics, basic quantities and concepts
3. Thermal Protection of Buildings II –Design of a structure composition, review and calculation of thermal properties, U-Value, surface temperatures
4. Thermal Protection of Buildings III – Moisture flow through envelope structures, internal condensation, proper design of structural composition due to diffusion properties of individual structural layers
5. Thermal Protection of Buildings IV – Building envelope assessment, Energy Efficiency
6. Acoustics of Buildings – I – Introduction to physics of the sound, principles, basic quantities and concepts
7. Acoustics of Buildings – II – Noise levels calculation, assessment of a noise source
8. Acoustics of Buildings – III – Structural acoustics, air-borne and structure-borne sound insulation
9. Acoustics of Buildings – IV – Room acoustics, design of a room for cultural purposes, solution of the shape and material choice, reverberation review
10. Daylighting– Principles, basic quantities, daylighting systems, design and review of a room illumination
11. Insolation – Basic concepts, way of calculation, review of insolation of residential buildings
Completion and extension of knowledge in field of internal microclimate and economical efficiency of building design regarding quarantee of required comfort of the habitants.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Lessons are held in the semester cycle of lectures only, the presence at lectures is voluntary.
The form provides for the replacement of Study and Examination Regulations and Dean BUT BUT FA.