Progressive Technologies in Welding
FSI-9PTSAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course deals with the technology of welding by high-power sources such as plasma, electron-beam and laser applications. It familiarises students with technological methods of thermal spraying and their industrial application. Also discussed are the following topics Special welding of pressure methods, stud welding. Welded structures and introduction to the quality assurance of welded structures.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
They will be made familiar with the theory, as well as with the latest knowledge in the field.
Successful completion of the course is conditional on the knowledge of: fundamentals of fusion and pressure welding technology, weldability of materials as well as with science of materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Gibson S.W.: Advanced Welding, MacMillan, London 1997,ISBN 0-333-65384-X
Turňa, M.: Špeciálne metódy zvárania, ALFA,Bratislava 1989, ISBN 80-05-00097-9
Emmelmann,C.: Introduction to industrial laser materials processing, ROFIN-SINAR, Hamburk 1998
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The final exam will be composed of written and oral part. It is classificated to the ECTS grading scale
Language of instruction
The objective of the course is to make students familiar with the latest knowledge in the field modern high power welding and thermal cutting.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Consultations are mandatory.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme D-MAT-P Doctoral, 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, recommended
Type of course unit
20 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1) Progresiv technology of fusion welding. Welding by concentrate of power.
2) Theory of plasma arc. By liquid and gas stabilized arc. Plasma gases.
3) Plasma welding and surfacing methods.
4) Electron beam welding. Properties of electron beam .Interaction between parent metal and beam.
5) LASER beam welding. Properties of photon beam . Interaction between parent metal and beam.
6) Plasma cutting. Air plasma arc.
7) Cutting by electron beam and LASER beam. Hybrid technology.
8) Progresiv technology in welding with pressure. Friction welding.
9) Diffusion welding.