Mechanic and Hydraulic Gears
FSI-QMHAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course deals with the following topics: Hydrostatic transmissions: elements of hydrostatic mechanisms - converters, elements for pressure regulation, elements for flow regulation, elements for flow direction regulation, auxiliary elements, proportional elements. Calculation of hydrostatic circuits, starting and braking, thermal balance. Hydrostatic circuits of working machines. Hydrodynamic transmissions: hydrodynamic couplings and hydraulic torque converters. Combined hydraulic and mechanical gears.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be acquire knowledge of designing and construction especially of mobile machines of the study program. They will widen and deepen their knowledge of design of regulative hydrostatic circuit – with respect to the latest development trends.
Successful completion of the course is conditional on the basic knowledge of technical mechanics, physics and higher mathematics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ŠKOPÁN, M.:Hydraulické pohony strojů. Elektronické skriptum VUT FSI Brno, 2009 (CS)
MÁLIK, Ladislav. Konštruovanie. III, Mechanické, hydraulické a hydromechanické prenosy. 2. preprac. vyd. V Žiline: Žilinská univerzita, 2012, 514 s. ISBN 978-80-554-0476-9. (SK)
BAROŠKA, Ján. Hydrostatické mechanizmy. Žilina: Hydropneutech, 2012, 388 s. ISBN 978-80-970-89726. (SK)
SUBRAMANYA, K. 1000 solved problems in fluid mechanics (includes hydraulic machines). New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill, 2005, ix, 456 s. : il. ISBN 978-0-07-014476-7. (EN)
Pavlok, B. – Hružík, L. – Bova, M.: Hydraulická zařízení strojů. VŠB – Technická univerzita Ostrava, 2007, 123 s. (CS)
Majmudar, R.S.: Oil Hydraulics Systems, McGraw-Hill 2003, ISBN 0-07-140669-7 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work. Part of the course can be excursions to the companies, which manufacture or operate the equipments from the thematic area of education.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The exam is written. It consists of an example and theoretical questions. Preparation time is 100 minutes.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to widen and deepen students knowledge of machine parts and mechanisms and hydraulic machines with respect to the building and transport machines.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Course-unit credit is awarded on condition of having attended the seminars actively and completed all tasks, as well as fulfilled the requirements of continuous control. Presence in the exercises is obligatory.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme N-ADI-P Master's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Theory of hydrostatic mechanisms, continuity equation, Bernoullis relation.
2. Hydraulic resistances in the hydrostatic mechanisms.
3. Transmission of pressure energy in the hydrostatic mechanisms, resistances H, R, D.
4. Switching-in resistances of the same and different type, resistance network.
5. Starting and braking hydrostatic mechanisms, heat calculation of hydrostatic circuits.
6. Components of hydrostatic mechanism: converters and their parameters.
7. Hydraulic generators: construction, characteristic curves, circuits.
8. Rotary and rectilinear hydraulic motors: construction, characteristic curves, connection in circuit.
9. Elements for pressure, direction and rate of flow control.
10. Proportional elements, auxiliary elements.
11. The ground of hydrostatic mechanisms design.
12. Hydrostatic propulsive circuits of mobile working machines.
13. Hydrodynamic couplings and hydraulic torque converters.
8 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
6. Construction and maintenance of main elements of hydrostatic circuits.
7. Drawing up a hydraulic generator characteristic curve.
8. Control of hydraulic motors speed in open hydraulic circuits.
18 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Fluids of hydrostatic circuits and their properties.
2. Hydraulic loss in hydrostatic mechanisms.
3. Calculation of resistances across movement, acceleration, deformation.
4. Calculation of starting and braking hydrostatic mechanisms.
5. Heat calculation of hydrostatic mechanisms.
eLearning: currently opened course