Information Systems and Computer Networks
FSI-GIFAcad. year: 2020/2021
Information systems are nowadays a very important part of production systems. Effective work with data and information is of particular importance in connection with the concept of Industry 4.0. In this course, basic concepts of information theory are discussed, students are familiar with the structure of modern information systems, their design and deployment in the field of manufacturing systems through the latest methods of software engineering. Students are also acquainted with the means of computer networks, their importance in the communication subsystem of information systems in production.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be made familiar with the use of IS in manufacturing enterprises, concept of IS, and the methodology for its implementation. Students will acquire theoretical knowledge of and basic practical experience with databases and computer nets.
Prerequisites and co-requisites Practical knowledge of computer work, basic knowledge of computer networking.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Molnár Z. aj. - Informační systém podniku, skripta UTB Zlín, ISBN 80-238-6525-0 (CS)
Bigelow S.J.: Mistrovství v počítačových sítích, Computer Press 2004, ISBN 80-251-0178-9 (CS)
Bigelow S.J. Mistrovství v počítačových sítích, Computer Press 2004, ISBN 80-251-0178-9 (CS)
McMillan T. - Cisco Networking Essentials, John Wiley & Sons 2012, ISBN 978-1-118-09759-5 (EN)
OLIVÉ, Antoni. Conceptual modeling of information systems. Berlin: Springer, 2007, xxv, 455 s. ISBN 9783540393894 (EN)
TANENBAUM, Andrew S. Computer networks. 4th ed. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, c2003, xx, 891 s. ISBN 0-13-066102-3 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught in the form of lectures, which are an explanation of the basic principles and theory of the discipline. The exercise is focused on practical mastery of the subject matter covered in the lectures. Where possible, lectures will be organized for practitioners and field trips to companies dealing with activities related to the subject matter.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The course consists of exercises and lectures. Exercise is completed by credit (awarded in the 13th week). To obtain it is required 100% participation in exercises and activity in exercises. Students will work out the individual work in the prescribed range and quality. Based on the quality of the work in the exercise, the student earns up to 30 points for the exam The work must be submitted in writing and checked and recognized by the teacher. The test is realized by written test, student can get up to 70 points from this test, where 30 points from exercises. Evaluation of the test result is given by the ECTS grading scale.
Language of instruction
Learning outcomes of the course unit To acquaint students with basic requirements for information processing in manufacturing companies and ways of their coverage, especially by using information systems for these purposes. They will also learn about development and classification of IS used in manufacturing companies, their structure and way of their construction. Great attention is paid to databases as a basic element of IS. Students will also become familiar with the basic features of computer networks.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at obligatory lessons is checked and only substantial reasons of absence are accepted. Missed lessons can be substituted for via solution of extra exercises.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme N-VSR-P Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. - 2. Course contents - systems, information, information size, information transfer, codes and coding
3. - 4. IS structure of manufacturing company, IS for production management - MRP, MRPII, CIM, ERP
5. - 6. Information strategy in manufacturing company
7. - 8. Data and its processing in IS - database systems, their types and architecture, relational databases
9. - 10. SQL as an example of database language
11. - 12. Computer networks - basic terms and terminology, Internet and its basic services
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Working with data, data compression and data encryption
2. MS Access database, tables and query creation
3. MS Access database, relational database
4. SQL - statements for data selection and presentation
5. SQL - data modification commands, external access to DS
6. SQL - data modification commands, external access to DS
7. IoT and cloud systems - basic information
8. IoT and cloud systems - practical examples
9. Computer networks, Internet and its basic services
10. Web page creation - static, dynamic
11. Creating web pages - dynamic
12. Completion of final protocols
eLearning: currently opened course