Master Winter Laboratory Project - Biocolloids (Applied Chemistry)
FCH-M_WLP-BAcad. year: 2020/2021
Laboratory project with focus on biocolloids - preparation, structure, properties, applications in medicine, environmental technologies and agriculture
Project wil be realized by 1 student or, preferably, by student team (2-4 members). Begins with the project topic selection, followed by the design and realization of experiments, and finalized by data analysis and results evaluation. Tutored by faculty member or expert from industry. Students realize the project, prepare the final project report, present, discuss, and defend obtained results.
Offered to foreign students
Of all faculties
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students completing this course will be able to design and realize of experiments relevant for medium complex or advanced project task in chemistry, to evaluate and discuss results obtained in laboratory and their place in the current state of practical or theoretical knowledge.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
Project will be selected from following topics depending on student's interest and actual availability:
• Preparation and characterization of modern hydrogel materials – rheology, transport and release properties, fluorescence, computer modeling
• Natural organic matter – fractionation, reactivity and intermolecular interactions, transport properties, stability, colloidal properties in relation to its function in nature
• Computer modelling of diffusion in hydrogels
• Biophysical chemistry of microorganisms – application of methods and concepts of physical and biophysical chemistry in basic research of microorganisms
• Advanced methods in colloidal research – rheology and microrheology, centrifugal analysis, fluorescence probes and microscopy, calorimetry and thermal analysis, diffusion techniques
Training in realzitaion of laboratory work-based project.
Type of course unit
Guided consultation in combined form of studies
26 hours, obligation not entered
Teacher / Lecturer