Reliability and Quality
ÚSI-RTSAJAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course covers the issues concerned with the reliability of systems with independent and dependent elements and the application of statistical methods in reliability assessment. Students will also learn about back-up processes, reliability management methods, breakdown prevention and the creation of fault-tolerant systems. In addition, the course deals with the implementation of quality systems in electrical engineering and the issues with current quality assurance approaches.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to:
- define the basic concepts of quality and reliability,
- explain the basic problems of reliability,
- explain the construction of a corporate quality system,
- describe the basic quality management tools,
- explain the issues of quality system certification and product certification,
- calculate the basic indicators of reliability.
Knowledge of the subject at the Bachelor´s degree level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Základy spolehlivosti elektrotechnických výrob (CS)
Polsterová, H., Rozsívalová, Z.: Řízení jakosti. (CS)
Montgomery, D. C.. Introducion to Statistical Quality Control. John Wiley, New York, 1996 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and sessions in both computer and practical
laboratories. Students must submit a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
up to 20 points from seminars (the student will receive these points for individual work concerning the field of quality management, and its presentation).
up to 80 points from a written examination.
The test focuses on the quality and reliability issues discussed in the lectures and seminars.
Language of instruction
1. The reliability of systems with dependent and independent elements.
2. Markov processes. Markov's reliability models.
3. Static reserve, TMR and NMR systems.
4. Dynamic reserve, duplex and biduplex system. Hybrid reserve.
5. Failure models, fault tree analysis.
6. Methods of reliability management.
7. Prevention of failures. Introduction of quality system in electrotechnical manufacturing.
8. Development of a quality system in organizations. The introduction of a system of quality assurance. Quality system documentation in organizations.
9. Quality system documentation in organizations.
10. Economic problems connected with quality. The structure of quality-related costs in the product lifecycle.
11.Development of a quality system in organizations. Audits.
12. Relation between quality and the reliability of products. Certification.
13. Evaluation of quality in the CR.