ÚSI-RTKTEAcad. year: 2020/2021
Tehcnical and legislative requirements for manufactured electronic equipment and devices. The design and construction of electronic devices, and the process of bringing them into production. Electromagnetic compatibility. The electrical construction of a selection of components with regard to the appearance of hazardous situations, principles of application, the design of circuits and their critical states, issues concerning unwanted transfers, practical recommendations for electrical construction. Mechanical construction, the design of a device, the influence of thermal and other radiation. The reliability of electronic devices and the prevention of the occurrence of hazardous states. Technical diagnostics. External adverse influences and safety measures to be taken against them. Prevention of accidents involving electric current. Grounding and shielding issues of electrical devices. Interference circuits. The human factor in the operation of devices. Optimisation of the control of electrical devices.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
After taking the subject, the student is able to:
- describe the basic principles of mechatronics,
- explain the technical process of making preparations for manufacturing,
- design electronic circuits with discrete components and integrated circuits,
- describe the methods in use for achieving electromagnetic compatibility (EMC),
- describe ways of securing signal distribution,
- name parasitic couplings in electronic circuits,
- explain methods of shielding,
- explain methods of cooling electronic devices,
- describe and explain methods of soldering,
- discuss the options for printed circuit board designs,
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of surface mount technology,
- make a qualified estimate of safety requirements on regulations,
- describe differences in design for the aviation and space industries,
- discuss reliability and quality management methods,
- describe the basic principles of industrial property protection.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
MUSIL,V, BAJER, A: Konstrukce a technologie elektronických zařízení. Skriptum VUT FEKT, 2016 (CS)
WILLIAMS, T.: EMC for product designers. Newnes, 2007, ISBN: 978-0750681704 (CS)
FOWLER, K. R.: Electronic instrument design. Oxford University Press, 1996, ISBN 0-195-08371-7 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
A condition for the credit to be awarded is the submission of a research assignment and the processing of a short technical report - a practical demonstration of knowledge gained. The test will consist of a written part in the form of a test and an oral part (40 points for the written part, 20 points for laboratory training and 40 points for the oral part of the exam). A condition for the oral part is the fulfilment of the conditions of the written test.
Language of instruction
1. Requirements for manufactured electronic devices and equipment.
2. Legislation for the design and construction of electronic devices.
3. The design and construction of electronic devices with regard to the prevention of hazardous states.
4. Electromagnetic compatibility; principles, risks, EU standards.
5. Selection of components and structural elements, application principles.
6. Circuit design of electronic devices: critical circuit states.
7. Mechanical construction, the design of a device.
8. Signal propagation, limitation of critical modes.
9. Cooling of electronic components and devices; limit parameters; failure states.
10. Reliability of electronic devices. Technical diagnostic analysis.
11. Adverse external effects on electronic devices, and their analysis.
12. Grounding and shielding issues. Interference circuits.
13. Optimisation of the construction of electrical devices; safety during the use and operation of electronic devices.
The subject aims to explain and demonstrate the practical application of the basic principles of the design and construction of measuring devices and consumer electronics equipment. The study aim of the subject is for students to gain knowledge and skills and be prepared for employment in modern plants in various industries. Their education will enable them to achieve a high degree of professional adaptability.