Quality Management and Environmental Protection
ÚSI-RSMJEAcad. year: 2020/2021
The subject will acquaint students with the basic requirements of the quality management system (ČSN EN ISO 9001) and environmental management system (ČSN EN ISO 14001). Students will understand the principles of the process approach as applied to all activities in the quality management system, and will also able to apply this approach to the risk management system. They will also gain knowledge about the options for evaluating the impact of a product, production process or service on the environment. They will understand the principle of the constant improvement of processes and the impact of this on customer satisfaction and the protection of the environment in accordance with EU policy and a company´s own targets.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate will learn to perceive:
- risks from the aspect of product quality assurance (product or service),
- the importance of the principle of the constant improvement of risk-reducing processes, and
- the need for companies to control the impact of their activities, products and services on the environment.
Students should have a basic knowledge of university-level mathematics - statistics and probabilistic calculus.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VAVŘÍK, I., BLECHA, P.: Jakost I - řízení jakosti, interní učební texty ÚVSSR
VAVŘÍK, I., BLECHA, P.: Jakost II - metody a nástroje zabezpečování jakosti, interní učební texty ÚVSSR
ČSN EN ISO 9001:20016
ČSN EN ISO 14001:20016
MASING, W.: Handbuch der Qualitätssicherung, München: C. Hanser, 1988, ISBN 3446151729
HERING, E., TRIMEL, J., BLANK, H.: Qualitätssicherung für Ingenieure, VDI-Verlag, 1993, ISBN 3184011003
REDEKER, G.: Grundlagen der Qualitätssicherung, Institut für Qualitätssicherung, učební texty Uni. Hannover
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Tuition takes place via lectures and seminars. The lectures focus on the explanation of basic principles, the methods of the given discipline, problems and example solutions. The seminars mainly support practical mastery of the subject matter presented in lectures or assigned for individual study with the active participation of students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Knowledge and skills obtained in the course are tested via a semestral project and an oral exam.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to issues concerned with quality and environmental management
2. Overview and application of quality management methods and tools
3. Methods of preventive quality assurance in pre-production stages
4. Methods of preventive quality assurance in the production stage - 7 basic tools
5. Methods of preventive quality assurance in the production stage - SPC
6. The ISO 9000 series of standards - introduction
7. The ISO 9000 series of standards - completion
8. Environmental policies of the EU
9. The ISO 14000 series of standards
10. Introducing new products to the market and bringing them into service
11. Evaluation of the impact of a product or service on the environment (LCA, EPD, EIA)
12. Certification and conformity assessment
13. Examples of documentation and EMS records
Students will obtain knowledge of the requirements of quality (ČSN EN ISO 9001) and environmental (ČSN EN ISO 14001) management systems and the possible ways of meeting them.
Course graduates will understand the principles of applying a process approach to all activities involved in the quality management system, and will also be able to apply this approach to the risk management system.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Seminars are compulsory, lectures are recommended.