English for Risk Engineering
ÚSI-RSAIRAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course focuses on the acquisition and deepening of practical language skills. As part of their studies, students will learn to use professional knowledge, skills and competences in the field of risk management in English.
Institute of Social Sciences (SPV)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Understanding of specific information in the oral and written form.
The ability to communicate in selected situations connected with company management, to present a company and its products, to discuss company matters in the oral and written form. The ability to negotiate at various levels.
Corresponding expansion of specific vocabulary.
The prerequisite for study is knowledge of English at the B1 level (intermediate). The English taught builds on existing B1 level English knowledge.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Ibbotson, Mark: Professional English in Use, Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2009 (CS)
Grussendorf, Marion: English for Presentations, Fraus, 2008 (CS)
Downes, Colm: Cambridge English for Job-hunting, Cambridge University Press, 2008 (CS)
Štepánek, Libor, de Haaff, Janice a kol.: Academic English, Grada Publishing, a.s., 2011 (CS)
Ostrom, Lee T a Cheryl A. Wilmhelmsen: Risk assessment: tools, techniques, and their applications. Hoboken: John Wiley, 2012 (CS)
Burgman, Mark A.: Risks and decisions for conservation and environmental management. Cambridge ; New York: Cambridge University Press, 2005 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
A presentation on a topic related to the student´s final thesis.
Another condition for the successful completion of the subject is active participation in seminars, the fulfilment of tasks set by the tutor, and good attendance.
Language of instruction
1. Risk analysis and evaluation - vocabulary, specialised texts, conversation
2. Risk engineering methods, tools and techniques - vocabulary, specialised texts, conversation
3. Legal terms - basic vocabulary and common phrases
4. Basic terms from the field of economics and finance - vocabulary, conversation
5. Basic terms from the field of risk management - vocabulary, specialised texts, conversation
6. Annotation of a selected article from a foreign periodical, revision of articles, the passive voice and word order
7. Recordings of foreign lectures connected with technical fields - listening
8. Cover letter and application for employment in a technical field
9. Interpretation of a selected specialised article by the student, discussion on the topic
10. Interpretation of a selected specialised article by the student, discussion on the topic
11. Preparation of a presentation on the topic of the student’s Master’s thesis
12. The student´s own short presentation on the topic, with the Master’s thesis
13. The student´s own short presentation on the topic, with the Master’s thesis
The aim is to acquire special language competencies in the field of risk analysis.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The compulsory aspects of the course and their enforcement are defined in a statement from the subject guarantor, which is updated every year. The language seminar is compulsory.