Psychology in Business
ÚSI-REPSYAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course focuses on psychological and sociological aspects in business and marketing. It introduces the basics of psychology and its use when working with people, including their motivation and leadership. It deals with basic aspects of perception and communication, and the influences of the working environment, motivation, and all other factors positively and negatively affecting job performance.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
After completing the course, students will have gained knowledge of aspects of applied psychology and sociology that are usable in business and marketing.
The course primarily focuses on:
soft skills and the understanding of the role of personality in business and marketing, and the evaluation and management of enterprises
social groups, social dynamics, group leadership, sociogram analysis
corporate economic efficiency, and its social determination
gender issues, issues with the employment of seniors, and how to solve them
social communication in the organisation, its effectiveness, misunderstandings and personnel-related problems
problems arising from high workload, workplace efficiency, stress and its elimination
No special requirements
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Bedrnová, E., Nový, I. a kol.: Psychologie a sociologie v řízení firmy. Praha, Prospektrum 1994
Bedrnová,E. a kol.: Duševní hygiena a sebeřízení. Praha, VŠE 1996
Bělohlávek, F.: Organizační chování. Olomouc, Rubicon 1996
Bělohlávek, F.: Osobní kariéra. Praha, Grada 1994
Vykopalová, H.: Sociální psychologie v kontextu komunikace. UP,Olomouc 2000
Hayesová, N.: Základy sociální psychologie. Praha, Portál 2000
Praško, J., Prašková, H.: Asertivně proti stresu. Praha, Grada 1996
Plamínek, J.: Řešení konfliktů s umění rozhodovat. Praha, Argo 1994
Čakrt, M.: Typologie osobnosti pro manažery. Praha, Management Press 1996
Khelerová, V.: Komunikační dovednosti manažera. Praha, Grada Publishing 1995
SCHMEIDLER, Karel. Sociologie v architektonické a urbanistické tvorbě. Vyd. 2. Brno: Zdeněk Novotný, 2001, 292 s. : il., plány. ISBN 80-238-6582-X. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Tuition takes place via lectures and seminars. The lectures focus on the explanation of basic principles, the methods of the given discipline, problems and example solutions.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Completion of tasks during seminars; final test
Language of instruction
1. General Introduction. The importance of psychology and sociology in business and marketing. The emergence and development of psychology as a science. Scientific methods used in sociology. General overview of psychological disciplines.
2. Methods of seeking useful psychological and sociological knowledge, and its application in business and marketing.
3. Personality, and the importance of personality traits in business. SWOT analysis.
4. People in social space, social behaviour, social interactions and their importance in a business environment.
5. Social groups and their dynamics. Working groups and teams.
6. Communication, communication within an organization. Basic communication strategies and their application in business practice.
7. Basic communication skills and their usage: assertiveness, transactional analysis.
8. Psychology of activities, the motivations of human behaviour. Effective cooperation with others.
9. People in an organization, organizational behaviour.
10. Conflicts and their solutions.
11. Stress and demotivating factors at work.
12. Personal career and personal potential.
13. Quality of life, the entrepreneurial way of life from the perspective of the broader social context, workaholism.
Psychology and business; factors positively and negatively affecting workplace performance.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences