FSI-2KAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course provides students with knowledge in the field of creation of design documentation (mostly drawing) with a focus on technology and serial production. Teaching is focused mainly on the creation of drawings of cast, forged, welded and other components. Attention is paid to the calculation of functional dimensions and their tolerance. Emphasis is placed on the optimization of functional and technological dimensioning in the creation of complete drawing documentation of the assembly unit. Students will gain basic knowledge of current trends in the creation of documentation. The course also complements the basic knowledge of selected types of machine parts.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
• knowledge and ability to process drawing documentation of products from cast, forged and welded semi-finished products
• the ability to create assembly unit documentation with an emphasis on ensuring function and interchangeability
• knowledge of preliminary calculation and documentation of gears
• basic knowledge of modern trends in the creation of design documentation
The condition of the study is successful completion of the subject Machine Design Fundamentals (1K).
Knowledge of the basics of design (basics of technical drawing, drawing documentation, dimensioning, geometric tolerances, basic principles of functional and technological dimensioning) and a clear knowledge of materials science (material selection and its standardization) are necessary.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
SVOBODA, Pavel, BRANDEJS, Jan. Základy konstruování. Vyd.7, Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 2020, 264 s. ISBN 978-80- 7623-034-7. (CS)
SVOBODA, Pavel a BRANDEJS, Jan. Výběry z norem pro konstrukční cvičení. Vyd. 6. Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 2019, 238 s. ISBN 978-80- 7623-010-1. (CS)
Platné normy ISO, EN, ČSN
GIESECKE, Frederick E et al. Technical drawing with engineering graphics. 14th ed. Boston: Prentice Hall, c2012, 1 sv. ISBN 978-0-13-509049-7. (EN)
SIMMONS, Colin H.; MAGUIRE, Dennis E.; PHELPS, Neil. (2012). Manual of Engineering Drawing - Technical Product Specification and Documentation to British and International Standards (4th Edition). Elsevier. Retrieved from https://app.knovel.com/hotlink/toc/id:kpMEDTPS03/manual-engineering-drawing/manual-engineering-drawing (EN)
JENSEN, Cecil Howard, Jay D HELSEL a Dennis R SHORT. Engineering drawing & design. 7th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2008, 1 v. ISBN 978-0-07-352151-0. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures and exercises which are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Terms of graded credit: attendance at seminars, elaboration of graphic projects (programs), graduation of tests and work tasks. Students must complete all four conditions. Final classification according to ECTS.
Language of instruction
Graduates will be able to create basic documentation of machine parts, whose semi-finished product is casting, forging or weldment, they will also have knowledge of the complete drawing documentation of the assembly unit, including basic dimensional calculations.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is mandatory and controlled. Maximum of two authorized absence without compensation of lesson are allowed.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B-ENE-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-STR-P Bachelor's
specialization STR , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme B3S-P Bachelor's
branch B-PRP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-ZSI-P Bachelor's
- Programme B-PDS-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-MET-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-FIN-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme B-PRP-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
• Principle of castings production. Drawing documentation of cast parts. Drawing of the part whose semi-finished product is a casting and drawing of a casting. Technological design of casting.
• Tolerances and deviations in dimensional circuits. Full interchangeability method, compensation method. Information on other methods (statistical and group interchangeability).
• Welded parts and their drawing documentation. Technological requirements and technological design of welded parts. Materials suitable for welding technology.
• Overview of drawing documentation of volume-formed parts. Technological design of forgings.
• Drawing documentation of surface-formed parts.
• Soldered, glued and riveted joints.
• Requirements for documentation of plastic products.
• Modern trends in design documentation, drawing-free documentation, 3D printing.
• Design process algorithm. Overview of technical documentation requirements, list of items and technical report.
• Selected chapters from machine parts - drives and springs in terms of their documentation, mechanical couplings and basic mechanisms.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
doc. Ing. Jan Brandejs, CSc.
Ing. Oto Budín
Ing. Ondřej Červinek
Ing. Dana Foltýnová
Ing. Jakub Hurník
Ing. Filip Jeniš
Ing. Daniel Kvarda
doc. Ing. Pavel Mazal, CSc.
Ing. Michal Michalec
Eng. Housam Mohammad
Ing. Libor Nohál, Ph.D.
Ing. Vendula Skřivánková
doc. Ing. Petr Svoboda, Ph.D.
Ing. Ondřej Vaverka
Ing. František Vlašic, Ph.D.
doc. Ing. Pavel Mazal, CSc.
• Application of geometric tolerances.
• Drawing documentation of cast components. Assignment of 1st program – casted part. Proposal for moulding of the casting.
• Tolerances and deviations in dimension chains - method of full interchangeability – examples.
• Tolerances and deviations in dimension chains – compensation method - examples.
• Dimensioning and accuracy of gears. Toothed gears. Preliminary calculation. Entering the 2nd program - gears.
• Drawing of weldment for welding and machining, drawings of weldment parts. Assignment of 3rd program - weldment.
• Assembly drawing, list of parts, technical report - basic rules.
• Introduction to documentation of volume formed parts.
• Drawing documentation of flat formed parts – examples.
• Overall evaluation of the submitted works. Check of programs and compositions completeness.
eLearning: currently opened course