History of Art of 20th Century
FSI-YUDAcad. year: 2020/2021
Subject provides an overview of art, architecture, arts and crafts in the 20th centuries - Art Nouveau, avant-garde, Dadaism, Surrealism, Symbolism, Bauhaus, Action Painting, op-art, pop-art, conceptual art, postmodern.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- An orientation in the history of fine art in the period of modern times.
- Knowledge of fundaments of individual movements.
- Knowledge of characterization of individual movements.
- Knowledge of significant representatives of individual movements.
Development of visual arts, arts and crafts and design from the beginnings till the end of the 19th century.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Kol.: The Art Book. - London: Phaidon, 1994.
Pijoan J.: Dějiny umění 9-12, - Praha: Odeon/Euromedia, 1986/2004.
Gombrich E. H: The Story of Art. - London: Phaidon, 1995.
Lucie-Smith E.: Artoday. - London: Phaidon, 1995.
Powell L. a P.: 50´s 60´s Style. - London: Quamtum Books, 1998.
Horsham M.: 20´s +30´s Style. - London: Quantum Books, 1989.
Bauer, A.: Dějiny výtvarného umění. - Olomouc: Rubico, 2002.
Maliva J.: Doteky s uměním a časem, 2. díl. - Brno: FaVU VUT v Brně, 1997.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is supplemented by excursions.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The exam verifies global orientation and knowledge of the development in the visual art of the given period and relationship to the previous development and to the present. The exam consists of written and oral parts. According to the article No. 13 of Study and Examination Rules of Brno University of Technology ECTS evaluation degree scale is used. The course is evaluated with the following grades: ECTS EVALUATION DEGREES / PTS. RATING / NUMERIC RATING: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B /89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
Graduates will be able to know history and theory of art, arts and crafts 20th century design. Orientation in art history belongs to the elementary education of industrial designer as a possible inspirational source for own work.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The attendance in lectures is recommended.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Visual art of the 20th century – avant-garde tendencies in the beginning of the 20th century (Fauvism, Expressionism).
- Visual art of the 20th century – avant-garde tendencies in the beginning of the 20th century (Cubism).
- Visual art of the 20th century - avant-garde tendencies in the beginning of the 20th century (Futurism and metaphysic painting, abstract art).
- Visual art of the 20th century - interwar period (Dadaism, Surrealism).
- Visual art of the 20th century - interwar period (Bauhaus).
- Visual art after the WWII (action painting, Op-art, Pop-art).
- Visual art after the WWII (conceptual art, Postmodernism).
- Development of architecture in the 1st half of 20th century.
- Development of architecture in the 2nd half of 20th century.
- Development of sculpture in the 20th century.
- Photography in the 20th century.
- The newest tendencies in visual art and architecture.
eLearning: currently opened course