Machinery of Foundry Plants
FSI-PZSAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course makes students familiar with the basic technological equipment and machines
used in foundries. A rational production of castings that would be environment friendly and would save power via automation and management of sources represents a closed circulation of materials with minimum waste material.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be cognizant of the basic manufacturing systems in foundries, the machines used, the functions and parameters of individual pieces of equipment,their
automation and deployment. All this knowledge will be extended to cover the basic
handling of materials.
Knowledge of foundry technologies and metallurgy.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Chrást,J. : Slévárenská zařízení , Akademické nakladatelství CERM, Brno, 2006 (CS)
SCHLEG, P. F., et. al. Technology of Metalcasting, AFS, Illinois, 2003, 351 p. ISBN 0-87433-257-5. (EN)
FRUEHAN, R. et al., The Making, Shaping and Treating of Steel, Pittsburgh 1998, p. 767, ISBN 0-930767-02-0. (EN)
CAMPBELL, J., Castings, University of Birmingham, 2005, 337 p. ISBN 0-7506-4790-6. (EN)
BEELEY, B., Foundry Technology, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2001, 719 p. ISBN 9780750645676. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit conditional on participation in seminars and proving appropriate knowledge.
Exam tests students´ knowledge of basic production nodes in a foundry plant.
Language of instruction
The objective is to familiarise students with the basic machinery equipment of foundries and its future development ensuring an optimum use of the machines. They willhave a grasp of the market and capital investment activities.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Technical reports from excursions realised in course of semestr are requisted.
Type of course unit
52 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction, classification, flow diagram, statistical data. Ground plan of the foundry, lay-out, building and its equipment
2. Classification of melting shops. Cupola furnaces, Storage, Furnace charge composition and charging
3. Electric arc furnace, furnace charge composition and charging. Principles of induction low- and – middle frequency furnaces
4. Secondary metallurgy equipment. Melting and holding furnaces for non-ferrous metals.
5. Equipment for clay bonded mixtures, Sand cooling equipment, Sand mixers and mullers, Sand reclamation, Sand hoppers, Conveyors (bucket elevators, vibratory conveyors, etc.), Screening, Magnetic separators.
6. Moulding shop for clay bonded mixtures, Basic principles of sand moulding,
7. Flaskless moulding machines – horizontally and vertically parted moulds, Pouring equipment and shake outs
8. Sand slingers and sand slinger lines. Shake outs
9. Moulding machines and equipment for cold settings processes. Sand reclamation
10. Shell moulding (Croning process) equipment, vacuum forming. Classification of core production machines according to technology.
11. Blow moulding and shot blasting machines. Shot blasting machines for HB, CB and shell –cores. Core bonding and assembling
12. Pressure die casting machines. Centrifugal casting machines
13. Fettling shop equipment. Cleaning of castings. Cutting off gating systems and risers
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1.-2. Lay-out of the foundry
3.-4. Melting shop in ferrous foundries (lay-out, material flow)
5. Melting shop in non-ferrous foundries (lay-out, material flow)
6. Moulding shop for clay bonded mixtures (lay-out, material flow)
7. Moulding shop (lay-out, material flow)
8. Cold Box - Core shop (lay-out, material flow)
9. Moulding shop cold settings processes. Examples of sand reclamation
10. Capacity calculation in foundry
11. Aluminium die casting foundry
12. Fettling shop (lay-out, material flow)
13. Air conditioning system in foundry
eLearning: currently opened course