FSI-OZKAcad. year: 2020/2021
Division of tests and specialties of aircraft testing. Basic metrological operation, measurement equipments in aerospace engineering. Calibration of instruments. Measurement of basic aircraft characteristics, aerodynamic correction. Preparing in flight test and aircraft before flight test. Measurement of flight performance and characteristics. Reduction measurement values to ISA. Static and dynamic strength tests of aircraft structures. Proposal and importance static and dynamic test. Equipment for implementation of test, measured instruments. Test of pressure cabin. Strain gauge measurements.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Organization and preparation of atmospheric aircraft in-flight tests. Organization of strength tests. Distribution of loading and design test equipment and test program. Bonding strain gauges and measurement strain. Acquiring theory, experience, measurement.
Basic knowledge of flight mechanics and strength analyses of aircraft structure.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
DANĚK, Vladimír. Mechanika letu I. Brno: AKADEMICKÉ NAKLADATELSTVÍ CERM, S.R.O, 2009. ISBN 978-80-7204-659-1.
DANĚK, M.: Zkoušení letadel za letu. 1. vyd. Brno: VAAZ,1962 (CS)
Drexler J.: Pevnost a zkoušky leteckých konstrukcí, Brno, VAAZ, 1965. (CS)
Askue V.: Flight testing homebuild aircraft, Iowa State University Press, USA 1992. (EN)
Kljačko, M. D., Arnautow, E. V.: Letnyje pročnostnyje ispytanija samoletov, Moskva, 1985. (RU)
Stinton,D.: Flying Qualities and Flight Testing of the Airplane, Blackwell Science, Oxford, 1996, 667 s., ISBN 0-632-05056-X (EN)
Kimberlin,R.D.: Flight testing of fixed-wing aircraft, AIAA, Reston, Virginia, 2003, 435 s. ISBN 1-56347-564-2 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for awarding the course-unit credit: 80% participation in practical exercises, submission of completed computational and laboratory exercises and protocols. The credit is necessary for registering for the examination. The exam I consists of written (the essential one) and oral parts.
Language of instruction
The goal is to make students acquainted with the organization and preparation of in-flight tests of atmospheric aircraft. Organization of strength tests. Distribution of loading and design test equipment and test program. Learning theory, experience, measurement.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Exercises are compulsory. It is possible to compensate missed exercises (in justified cases) by elaborating of a substitute assignment.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction, parting in flight measurement tests, contents, specialties and practice
2. View of measurement quantity, measurement methods and measurement errors
3. Flight speed measurement, aerodynamic correction of Pitot static system
4. Measurement of flight performance, climbing speed, polar lines
5. Methods of reduction measurement values to ISA
6. Measurement methods of flight characteristics, stability and controllability
7. Purpose and importance of static and dynamic tests
8. Laboratory equipment
9. Test planning, test preparation
10. Testing of cabin pressure, lending gear, etc.
11. Calculation of loading distribution system
12. Measurement of strength and strain
13. Data evaluation, reports and protocols
8 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Horizontal tail testing in laboratory
2. Strain and stress measurement on a specimen
5 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Methods of calibration measurement systems
2. Calibration curves
3. Measurement of pressure
4. Measurement of temperature
5. Flight speed measurement, aerodynamic correction of Pitot static system
6. Reduction measurement values to ISA
7. Plotting measured stability and place aerodynamic centre
8. Illustration dynamic test
9. Calculation of loading distribution system
10. Bonding strain gauges
11. Plotting measured data and protocol
eLearning: currently opened course