German in Engineering
FSI-GNSAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course is focused on characteristic features of professional communication. It provides students with relevant professional language skills and develops their communication skills. It concentrates on reading strategies using technical texts. The aim is for students to master comprehension of technical texts and to produce a summary or a short presentation in both written and spoken form.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course is intended to deepen students’ language skills necessary for professional communication using relevant vocabulary. It will familiarise the students with professional terminology and enable them to understand professional technical texts and produce a summary or a short presentation.
Language knowledge at least at the level B2 CEFR; the course is intended to teach German as a foreign language for specific purposes.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
E-learningové studijní opory pro předmět Němčina GNS.
Adbelmalek Sayad: Campus Deutsch, Präsentieren und Diskutieren. Hueber 2014 (CS)
DEUMA. Deutsch im Maschinenbau. Multimediální jazykový program. Brno, VUT 2004.
kol.: Campus Deutsch, Lesen. Hueber 2013 (CS)
Dologna, Sanja - Hoster, Tihana: Volldampf (Deutsch für Maschinenbau) Zagreb 2016 (DE)
Deutsch für Doktoratstudium. Multimediální jazykový program, VUT Brno 2005
kol.: Němčina pro strojírenské obory – Deutsch im Maschinenbau. Informatorium, Praha 2008
ZETTL, Erich, JANSSEN, Jörg, MÜLLER, Heidrun: Aus moderner Technik und Naturwissenschaft. Ismaning: Hueber 1999 (vybrané kapitoly)
BECKER, Norbert: Fachdeutsch Technik. Metall- und Elektroberufe. Ismaning: Hueber 1995 (vybrané kapitoly)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Language instruction as an extension of basic professional curriculum.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit is awarded on condition of having attended the seminars actively, worked out assigned tasks and passed a credit test.
The written examination at the level B2/C1 tests the knowledge of grammar, vocabulary and technical terminology as well as reading and listening comprehension of professional language.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with language skills used in professional communication (reading, listening, speaking, writing) and to provide them with professional terminology and specific structures of professional language.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is compulsory and is systematically checked by the teacher. Students are allowed to miss two seminars. Absence may be in justified cases compensated for with the consent of the teacher.
Classification of course in study plans
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Formulas, Equations, Definitions. Verbalising numerical expressions.
2. Describing graphs, charts and trends.
3. Oral presentations: key words and phrases for introduction, main parts and conclusion.
4. Oral presentations: content, language, visual aids, question time. Learning / Teaching vocabulary.
5. Description of Functions – Machines, Tools and Implements.
6. Description of Processes. Giving students´ individual presentations I.
7. Description of Material Properties. Giving students´ individual presentations II.
8. Methods of Argumentation. Giving students´ individual presentations III.
9. Explanation and Reasoning. Giving students´ individual presentations IV.
10. Inquiries and Objections. Presentation of Independent Project I.
11. Comparing. Presentation of Independent Project II.
12. Summary, Discussion. Presentation of Independent Project III.
13. Assessment – positive and negative. Presentation of Independent Project IV.