Selected problems of power electrical engineering
FEKT-MPA-SPPAcad. year: 2020/2021
Course on electrical machines and apparatuses with a focus on selected advanced topics and acquisition of language skills in practical verbal communication. Lectures include a wide range of technical issues, as well as active forms of student work, which include the elaboration of the assigned work in English and its presentation in the seminar. The topics covered during the semester are designed to broaden students' expertise for their practical future work, while at the same time teaching them terminology for the effective use of English in their everyday working life.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Graduate of the course is able to
- explain the basic principles of electrical machines and apparatuses in English,
- describe the construction of different types of electrical machines and apparatus in English,
- gather information from technical publications written in English,
- present technical topics from electrical machines and apparatuses in English,
- apply the acquired knowledge in technical work.
Ability to understand spoken and written technical word in English, knowledge of mathematics, English language, electrical engineering at the level corresponding to the bachelor's degree.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, terminology
2. High-speed induction machines
3. High-speed synchronous machines
4. High-torque machines
5. Synchronous reluctance machines
6. Line-start synchronous machines
7. Seminar – presentations of student projects
8. Theory of switching process with practical cases
9. Physical phenomena in electrical switching devices and possibilities of their solution
10. Principles and design of modern low-voltage switching devices
11. Principles and design of modern middle- and high-voltage switching devices and assemblies
12. Protection of electrical circuits
13. Seminar – presentations of student projects
Enlargement of knowledge in selected topics of electrical machines and apparatus. Improving professional vocabulary, presentation and communication skills in English.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPC-SVE Master's, any year of study, winter semester, 2 credits, compulsory-optional