Low Energy Houses
FAST-NHB044Acad. year: 2020/2021
Designing of low-energy houses with the use of passive solar systems. An introduction to the utilization of active solar systems and renewable energy sources. Students will be given a general layout of a family or residential house to adjust and design a low-energy or a passive house. The balance of energy losses and gains will be calculated for the heating period as well as energy savings, heating expenses and rough calculation of the economic indexes.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Offered to foreign students
Of all faculties
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will design and evaluate the building, which fulfil criteria for low-energy or passive house. Including evaluation of critical details.
Basic knowledge of the thermal protection of buildings, knowledge of the basic physical quantities and thermal properties of building materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Principles of low-energy buildings.
2. Design fundamentals of a low-energy house and its thermal balance.
3. Thermal insulation design of a building (wall, roof, floor, windows).
4. Ventilation, heating and air-tightness of a building.
5. Thermal joints of constructions (foundations, floor, corner, jamb and cap).
6. Computer programmes and simulations of the annual heat and cold consumption.
7. Void infill elements for low-energy houses.
8. Economic and utility assessment of low-energy buildings.
9. An excursion to a low-energy house.
10. Energy legislation.
To master correct designing and evaluation of a building as a low-energy, passive or the zero-energy house.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans