Quality Management Systems
FAST-NWA015Acad. year: 2020/2021
The principles of the two most significant quality management philosophies, these being Total Quality Management (TQM) and reengineering. The subject focuses mainly on the first part in greater detail – the implementation of a quality system and its development in TQM. It also deals with the relationship of TQM to other systems, such as the occupational safety system and the environmental system. Students are also acquainted with the basic civil engineering quality manual, with the personnel training system and the certification system.
Institute of Technology, Mechanisation and Construction Management (TST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
1.Ability to develop, audit and improve quality management system according to ISO 9001:2000 in construction company and building
2.Ability to create complex documentation of quality management system according to ISO 9001:2000 in construction company and building
3.Implementation of world philosophies like Total Quality Management (TQM), KAIZEN, reengineering, Model EFQM in construction companies
4.Design and implementation of integrated management system in construction company and building according to ISO 9001:2000, ISO 14001:2004 a OHSAS 18001:2007.
Knowledge concerning construction technology and the execution of buildings in the given specialisation. Preparation of quality control and environmental inspection plans.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Quality – total quality management. Evaluation of the current situation in the building industry.
2. Quality management system (QMS) according to the ČSN EN ISO 9001:2009 standard for the construction of buildings and other civil engineering works. Characteristics. Implementation procedure.
3. Structure of standards. Structure and contents of the QMS documentation for building companies and construction execution – quality manual.
4. Responsibility of company management when introducing a QMS. Inspection and audit of QMS.
5. Management of resources, preparedness through qualifications, education plan and internal personnel training.
6. Product realization – construction execution. Review of contractual requirements. Selection and evaluation of suppliers and building contractors. Measurement devices and their calibration. SW for quality control.
7. QMS documentation – quality plan, inspection and testing plan, technical regulations , inspection and testing procedures. Site diary.
8. Quality monitoring at construction sites, quality records. Storage and warehouse quality requirements.
9. Construction efficiency, QMS audit, safety system audit, supervisor assessment (TDI).
10. Corrective and preventive measures. Elimination of deficiencies. Costs and quality. QMS certification.
11. Higher forms of quality management – KMJ (TQM, Total Quality Management). Characteristic features and factors. EFQM Model.
12. Reengineering – characteristics, changes, contractors, application within a company.
13. Integrated Management System (IMS) in a building company. Evaluation of construction execution from the perspective of quality, environment and occupational safety.
To introduce the students in the quality management system as defined in the EU by ČSN EN ISO standards of 9000 series. To explain the quality control systems in building industry and in the real terms of the building companies. Practical handling with ČSN EN ISO standards of 9000 series.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIR Master's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory