Natural Technologies of Water Treatment
FAST-NSB019Acad. year: 2020/2021
Introduction to the problem, distribution of natural methods of purification, history of using natural methods of purification
Cleaning processes in soil, water and wetlands, importance of vegetation, composition of polluted and waste water
Exploration work, rainwater management
Mechanical pre-treatment of waste water
Horizontal filter design, operation issues
Vertical filter tip, pulse dosing systems
Design of a stabilization tank, floating wetland islands
Combination of natural and artificial ways of cleaning, use in practice, modernization.
Operation of natural sewage treatment plants
Institute of Landscape Water Management (VHK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student gains overview of possibilities of natural ways of water treatment use, knowledge of purification processes in soil, water and wetland environment, their use in various types of equipment.
Knowledge of hydraulics - pipe flow, groundwater hydraulics, hydropedology - especially grain-size analysis, density and bulk density filter materials, waste water treatment - mechanical treatment and sludge management, calculation and maximum daily flow, water chemistry and technology, basic concepts such as nitrification and denitrification, BOD, PE
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to natural ways of waste water treatment - advantages, disadvantages, possibilities of use, legislative.
2. Quantity and content of waste water, slurry and sludge, calculations, measurement, mechanical treatment of waste water from the small polluters.
3. Reed bed treatment plants: purification processes in filtration environment, efficiency. Function, use and treatment of plants in reed bed treatment plant.
4. Objects on reed bed treatment plants, design of treatment wetlands, computing and calculation, construction, sealing. Vertical reed bed treatment plant.
5. Plants on treatment wetlands – functions, using, treatment.
6. Materials for filtration media.
7. Possibilities and limitations of VKC, operation of wastewater treatment plants.
8. Cleaner Economy - Investment and Operation.
9. Stabilization tanks: cleaning processes in the aquatic environment, building solutions, dimensions.
10. Efficiency of the treatment plant, carbon footprint, comparison with the best available technologies
Evaluation of possibilities of natural ways of water treatment use, advantages and disadvantages.
Specific of mechanical pre-treatment solution
Knowledge of purification processes in soil, water and wetland environment, their use in various types of equipment
Ability to use the principle of designing the most used types
Environmental impact assessment, overview of legislative.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIV Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional