Protection Structures for Dams and Hydraulic Circuits
FAST-NRB019Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course provides students with information on the safety assessment of the water works during floods. N-year flows in the profile of the dam determining, design discharge, transfer the flood waves and its transforming through the reservoir. The use of emergency spillways and bottom outlets of dams for controlled transfer of flood waves. Converting of the control flood waves. The design of the emergency spillways, spaces of stilling basins and spillway channel for safe operation during floods. Designing of the multipurpose flow control structure of small dams and polder dams. Function and Designing of the surge tank of the hydropower plant. Water hammer exclusion of the direct impact in long pipelines and pumping stations circuits.
Institute of Water Structures (VST-VST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
1. Skilled summary about the problems of water resources management and data relationship to environment.
2. Claiming the knowledge for municipal government and skilled departments of MPO, MZE, MŽP.
Hydraulic, dams, hydrology, river training and weirs, hydro power utilization. Basic knowledge of statistics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. The safety assessment of the water works during floods, flood waves, design discharge, control flood, calculations of the transformation, run-off control.
2. Emergency spillway of dams lateral, frontal, shaft, restrain system in front of weir.
3. Designs of safety shapes of the frontal and lateral weirs, spaces of stilling basins and spillway channel.
4. Designs of safety shapes of the shaft weir, the flow regimes.
5. The bottom outlets, equipment, control, capacity calculating.
6. Stilling basins, objects for energy dissipation.
7. Pooled objects of small dam, polder dam, boulder chute.
8. Outlet tunnels.
9. Surge tank – solutions of the level dynamic, water hammer and its elimination.
10. Behavior of the movable weir during flood, water distribution works on rivers.
Methodology and solution of hydrodynamic phenomenons including their modelling
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIV Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional