FAST-NPA016Acad. year: 2020/2021
Communal balneology. Visit frequency, water surface demand.
Pool water treatment - mechanical pre-treatment, clarification, sorption, filtration, pH correction, water disinfection and algae annihilation.
Pool water circulation intensity, proposal of distribution piping system and pumps.
Water streaming in pools, homogenity of disinfection means concentration.
Construction of swimming pools, construction materials, forms, surface materials, swimming pool groundwork and building of pools.
Water and heat management pool area.
Medical balneology - mineral and thermal water, water intake, transport and accumulation of medical water, peloids and their use.
Institute of Municipal Water Management (VHO)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student manages to project the pool water treatment from determining of pools surface area, visit frequency, intensity of pool water recirculation, dilution water quantity, project of compensatory reservoir, mechanical pretreatment and suitable kind of filtration up to pools chemical management.
The student manages to project forms, constructions and materials of pools and also economic aspects of projecting pools.
The student gets knowledge of mineral and thermal waters, water intake, possibilities of transportation and storage as well as knowledge of peloids and their using.
Basic knowledge of hydraulic, water chemistry, water treatment and water supply.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Field definitions, history, physiological effects of bathing and swimming. Design parameters of swimming pools – a water surface.
2. Attendance. Quality of pool water.
3. Determination of the recirculating water. Mechanical pretreatment. Coagulation filtration.
4. Properties of coagulation filtration. Sluicing filtration. Sorption.
5. Introduction to the pool water disinfection. Chlorination.
6. By-products of chlorination. Chlorine economy.
7. Ozonation. Other posibilities of the pool water disinfection. Removal of algae.
8. Reduction of soluble substances. Distributions of pool water. Gravitational and pressure part of swimming-pool circuit. Compensatory reservoir.
10. Proposal of pipes and pumps. Pipes material. Division of the swimming pools.
11. Pool construction – construction materials, surfaces, foundation, joints and penetrations. Water management pool area.
12. Disposal of pool waters. Heat management pool area. Other objects of communal spas.
13. Spa treatments – mineral and thermal waters, geological types of springs, peloids.
The students will be acquainted with sociological principles of balneology as the main planning bases, distinguish particularities of water treatment in balneotechnical use and in the water supply one, get know specialities of hydraulic solutions in balneology, get know cohesions to other professions taking part in bath ground design, mainly heat management and structure constructions, get a mention of modern trends in bath ground design.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIV Master's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory