Technology of Rehabilitation
FAST-NJA034Acad. year: 2020/2021
Methods of investigation of concrete structures.
Rehabilitation of concrete and reinforced concrete: Influence of technology to the durability of concrete. Surface treatment before application of rehabilitation methods. Rehabilitation materials: Surface treatment materials -types, properties, utilization, classification, gunned concrete and gunned mortar. Grouting. Rehabilitation of failures of water resistant concrete, types. Checking the quality of concrete and reinforced concrete rehabilitation.
Rehabilitation of wet masonry (from bricks, mixed, stone masonry): Basic approach. Chemism of wet masonry, biological effects. Porosity of material, outer surroundings effect. Water effect to objects. Determination of moisture in building structures. Masonry - desalination methods. Methods preventing water effects. Insulation materials.
Wood rehabilitation: kinds of wood material attack. Structure of ridden wood. Determination of the type of attack. Technology of rehabilitation - mechanical, chemical methods. Fire prevention of wood.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would acquire knowledge on the whole sanitation process of reinforced, brick and wood structures i.e. on executing the diagnostics of degrade structure (methods, tests, evaluation), sanitation proposal and its execution (technology, materials, etc.), also the description of methodology and frequency of control tests in the course of sanitation process and after its termination.
Production and properties of binders (especially cements); types and properties of polymer materials; composition and manufacture of concrete, its testing in fresh and hardened state; laboratory methods for testing of building materials properties.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction into the subject. Basic concepts in the field of reinforced concrete rehabilitation.
2. Diagnostics – types of investigation, extents, division and methods of tests.
3. Strategy of concrete rehabilitation – criteria for the selection of adequate materials and technologies.
4. Contents of technical rules for rehabilitation.
5. Methods of concrete and reinforcement pre-treatment.
6.–7. Repair materials for concrete re-profiling, material base, properties, methods of application.
8. Check tests, methods, frequency.
9. Biology of humid masonry, water evaporation from masonry, capillary attraction.
10. Basic concepts. Chemism of humid masonry, biological factors. Materials porosity, effects of external surroundings. Methods of moisture determination in building structures.
11. Water affecting the objects. Checking of humid buildings.
12. Methods of masonry desalting. Methods of moisture rehabilitation – mechanical, chemical. Rehabilitation mortars. Insulating materials.
13. Type of wood material attacks, structure of degraded wood, determination of the type of attack. Technology of wood rehabilitation – mechanical, chemical.
The rehabilitation of reinforced structures is during last 10 years an up-to-date, dynamically developing trend in building industry. The subject-leaver obtains actual information about the whole rehabilitation process i.e. about diagnostics performance of degraded structure (method, tests, evaluation) design of rehabilitation and its execution (technology, materials etc.). A component of execution is also the description of methods and frequency of checking tests during the rehabilitation process and after its end.
The next component of the subject is knowledge concerning rehabilitation of brickwork structures. The student obtains here information about reasons of failures and the possibilities of their rehabilitation. The last component of the subject is the rehabilitation of wood.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIM Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory