Concrete Technology 3
FAST-NJA031Acad. year: 2020/2021
Current trends in the field of technology of concrete bring new types of concrete with high end-use properties, using higher proportion of waste materials and focus on the structural side of buildings as well as overall aesthetic perception of concrete structures. In the course of classes and practical exercises, students will become acquainted with specifying, designing and using of concrete with high proportion of fly ash, ultrahigh performance concrete, reactive powder composites, sprayed concrete for tunnel construction, and selected types of mixtures for road building and current trends of direct finish concrete. Methods of designing composition of binding matrix based on achieving maximal density of matrix through use of micro-additions and controlled thickness of interfacial transition zone will be explained as well as influence of hydration heat on rheology of fresh mortar in time, its regulation by means of various superplasticizers, use of nano-technologies in concrete and many others.
Classes are complemented with laboratory exercises.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Concrete technology I
Concrete technology II
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Rheology of fresh cement mortars – Newtonian, non-Newtonian, Bingham liquid, models, influences on rheology changes.
2. Methods of measuring rheology of cement based and modified suspensions, influence of temperature and superplasticizers on change of rheology in time, influences on development of hydration heat and mechanical properties of hardened mortars.
3. Possibilities of using admixtures for concrete and plasticizers for reduction of volumetric changes, development of temperature during hardening of concrete, optimization of development of strengths for placing of concrete of high volume constructions.
4. Theory of designing composition of special concrete with micro-additions, optimization of density of dry components in binding matrix, granulometric curves in binding system for particles up to 0.25mm.
5. Influence of minimization of void content of components in binding matrix on thickness and quality of the interfacial transition zone between aggregate grains and influence on properties of hardened concrete.
6. Concrete with high content of fly ash (UHVFAC), designing composition, defining properties of fly ash, properties of fresh and hardened concrete, field of application.
7. Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC - 120 – 160 MPa), principles of designing mixtures, field of application, influence of compressive strength on other properties of concrete, like static elasticity modules, resistance to aggressive environment etc.
8. Reactive Powder Composites (RPC), principle of behavior, selection of appropriate fillers, physico-mechanical properties.
9. Types of materials for stabilized base layers of roads, cemented and non-cemented with hydraulic binders.
10. Educational visit
11. Technology of sprayed concrete, description of the variant of dry and wet sprayed concrete, designs of composition, required properties, methods of testing rapidity of strength development.
12. Ecologically friendly concrete (Green Concrete) with recycled filler and low-clinker cements, future prospects of keeping the sustainable development of concrete building industry.
13. Special treatment of surface of architectural concrete –translucent, self-cleaning, graffiti concrete.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIM Master's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory