FAST-NJA033Acad. year: 2020/2021
The aim of the new course master study program M is to introduce students with the theoretical foundations of the glass melting process as the most important technologies for glass processing especially with regard to the type used in glass furnaces. Attention will also be devoted to testing the properties of glasses and corrosion. An essential part of teaching is also excursion into the production of glass.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students who are registered on the this course should have a basic knowledge of the theoretical foundations of the structure of silicates. Otherwise not required any special knowledge.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Definition of glass, glass raw material characteristics, the glass batch calculation, calculation of the properties of the chemical composition of the glass.
2. The processes of melting glass – heat strain responses between the main raw materials, high-temperature phase and chemical equilibrium, types of enamel structure in melting strains.
3. Ripples of glass. Oxidation-reduction processes in glass melting, evaporation of volatile substances homogenization.
4. Glass furnaces – materials for their construction requirements, types of furnaces, fuel, heat transfer.
5. Fuel tank furnaces – types, construction, cooling, heating, construction furnace smelting technology in bath furnace.
6. Electric folding melting theoretical foundations, construction of electric van, electrode corrosion.
7. Melting in ladle furnaces – types and use pot furnaces, ceramic basin, glass melting technology in the pans.
8. Special sealers – Crucible medium-and high-frequency furnace melting quartz glass.
9. Physico-chemical methods of testing glass – glass mechanical modules, testing of single-layer safety glass, optical properties of glass, measuring thermal properties of glass.
10. Physico-chemical methods of testing glass – surface tension of the glass, setting the cooling process of glass, demarcations and speed devitrification, analysis of internal stresses in the glass.
11. Physico-chemical methods of testing glass – Determination of chemical resistance of the glass, the determination of the viscosity of molten glass (practical laboratory demonstrations). Analysis of the properties of glass materials.
12. Foam glass – technology, properties and testing. Glass ceramics. Water glass.
13. Excursion to the glassworks.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIM Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer