FAST-NJA028Acad. year: 2020/2021
Development of composite materials, distribution of composite materials into basic types and their characteristics. Definition of composite materials and interpretation of composite effects. Variables defining properties of composites. Particle composites and their distribution. Fibre composites, fibres, matrices. Metal, glass, polypropylene, cellulose, carbon, basalt, and other fibres. Composite materials made of a polymer matrix reinforced with fibres (FRP) , production, durability. Composite materials with cement matrix reinforced with fibres, steel fibre reinforced concrete. Glassfibre reinforced concrete. Fibre-cement composite materials. Wood-cement composite materials. New materials for structure reinforcement, lamellae , reinforcement fabrics. Materials with an alkali-activated matrix. Unidirectional composites – representation of relative phase, thermal expansion, and transport properties. Lectures are supplemented with laboratory assignments as exercises.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student handle target acquisition of knowledge on the subject of composite materials used in construction. The student will master the skills to understand the operation of composite materials, gain knowledge of the principles of design composites and knowledge for the use of composites in the civil engineering.
Knowledge of physics. Knowledge of chemistry – classification of substances, properties of substances.
Knowledge of building materials – properties of building materials.
Knowledge of concrete technology – design process, concrete mixing, concrete compaction process, concrete laying.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Development of composite materials, distribution of composite materials, definitions.
2. Variables defining composites’ properties, structural classification, design, specifics of design.
3. Fibre composites, fibres, matrices.
4. Composite materials with cement matrix reinforced with fibres (steel, polymer, glass, cellulose, basalt fibres).
5. Glassfibre reinforced concrete (GRC) .
6. Fibre cement.
7. Wood-cement composite materials.
8. Materials with an alkali-activated matrix.
9. Composite materials with polymer matrix reinforced with fibres (FRP), properties of input materials, production technology.
10. Composite materials with polymer matrix reinforced with fibres, properties, durability, application.
11. New materials for structure reinforcement, lamellas, reinforcement fabrics.
12. Particle composites, resistance of composites to high temperatures.
13. Unidirectional composites, fibre representation. Mechanism of unidirectional composites, longitudinal strength, modulus of elasticity and strength, thermal expansion, and transport properties.
Acquaintance with composite materials used in the building industry, understanding of materials composite effects and possibilities of composites. Acquaintance with principles of design and use of composites, on base of obtained knowledge the student can make the optimal choice of the composite material for actual application and he is able to define the demanded composite properties and the conditions for its use, he wins experience with practical preparation of selected composite material types.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIM Master's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory