Theory of Reliability
FAST-NDB020Acad. year: 2020/2021
Introduction of reliability theory, reliability background of standards for structural design (Eurocodes), Structural resistance and load action as two independent random variables, limit state and philosophy of design by standards, theoretical failure probability, reliability conditions, reliability reserve, reliability index, numerical simulation method Monte Carlo, Latin Hypercube Sampling, Importace Sampling, basic methods for failure probability analysis of structures designed by standards for design, basic methods for statistics, sensitivity and probabilistic analysis application to steel structures design. Introduction into risk engineering.
Institute of Structural Mechanics (STM)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will learn basic knowledge from reliability theory: creation of stochastic model, reliability condition, numerical simulation methods of Monte Carlo type, limit states, risk engineering.
Knowledge from Elasticity and plasticity, Structural mechanic, Probability and statistics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction of reliability theory, reliability background of standards for structural design (Eurocodes), structural resistance and load action as two independent random variables, reliability condition, reserve of reliability.
2. Limit state and philosophy of design by standards.
3. Reliability standards: theoretical failure probability, reliability index.
4. Aproximační metody FORM a SORM.
5. Numerical simulation method Monte Carlo in applications.
6. Computation model, model uncertainty, grosses errors.
7. Numerical simulation methods Latine Hypercube Sampling, Importace Sampling in applications.
8. Random process and random fields – Stochastic finite element methods and these applications.
9. Probabilistic optimization, problems of live-time of structures, use of statistics and sensitivity analysis for design of structures and verification and calibration of standards design procedures.
10. Imperfections analysis and this influence to failure of steel structures.
l1. Unbalanced of the failure probability of the structures designed by standards, option of input variability modelling.
12. Introduction of Risk engineering.
13. Reliability software – replenishment, conclusion and recapitulate.
Students will get basic knowledge from reliability theory: creation of stochastic model, reliability condition, numerical simulation methods of Monte Carlo type, limit states, risk engineering.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIS Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional