Failures and Reconstruction
FAST-BHB013Acad. year: 2020/2021
It deals mainly about the focus of the present state of the buildings, the construction- technical and historic research, identification of failures by the external symptoms and basic methods for their removal. The subject deals with the creation of the drawing documentation of reconstructed buildings. Students will learn about the development of building industry laws in Bohemia and Moravia and about building construction systems and principles at of standards and design regulations.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student must handle the aim of the course, which is the acquisition of theoretical and practical experience with geodesic surveying of an existing state of an object, performing of brief technical investigations, identification of defects and failures of building constructions according to extrinsic characteristics, projecting of redevelopment of principal defects and failures.
Partition, drawing and designing of building constructions, concrete and masonry constructions, metal and wooden constructions, building equipment, building technology and control.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to the subject, terminology, durability and life-span of buildings.
2. Surveying of existing state in buildings.
3. Fundamental surveys in buildings – technical survey, historical and architectural survey (preliminary consideration of building defects and deficiencies – visual exploration), Development of building industry law in Bohemia and Moravia since the second half of the 19th century.
4. Design regulations for the project documentation of building reconstruction and renovation .
5. Cracks in building constructions – characteristics of cracks (active and passive crack defects, tension, compression or shear cracks , etc.) causes of cracks in building constructions and ways their rehabilitation.
6. Defects of vertical structures (columns, load-bearing and non-load-bearing walls, partitions) and their rehabilitations.
7. Openings in vertical structures, supports and bracing for rehabilitation processes.
8. Defects of horizontal constructions - the first part (lintels, girders, floor structures, wooden beam floor structures) and ways of their rehabilitation. Defects of horizontal constructions - the second part (vaults, floor constructions) – types, defects, rehabilitation.
9. Staircases – main defects and failures, repair possibilities. Foundation structures – failures, ways of rehabilitation, enlargement of width and depth of existing foundations.
10. Defects and failures of saddle roofs – causes, rehabilitation, attic extensions and superstructures.
Theoretical and practical experience with geodesic surveying of an existing state of an object, performing of brief technical investigations, identification of defects and failures of building constructions according to extrinsic characteristics, projecting of redevelopment of principal defects and failures.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans