Concrete Technology 1
FAST-BJA007Acad. year: 2020/2021
Classification and types of concrete. Components of concrete: aggregates, water, cement, inert and active admixtures, accessories changing the hydration kinetics, plasticizing and areating accessories etc., structural steel. The composition of concrete, methods of calculation. Rheology of
fresh-concrete. Processing of fresh concrete, form systems and moulds. Compacting of fresh concrete mainly by vibration, other compacting methods. Hardening of concrete: hydration of cement, quick hardening of concrete, concreting in winter, treatment of concrete. The properties of concrete: porosity of the cement stone, coherence with steel, internal tension and deformation, permeability. Mechanical properties of concrete, influencing the concrete strength, deformation properties, water - tightness. The durability of concrete: frost resistance, chemical corrosion of concrete, corrosion of steel. Energetic demands for concrete production, quality control, recycling of concrete.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring basic necessary knowledge for the proposal of concretes composition for final properties of concrete assigned in advance, by acquiring information on the basic properties of input base material for the production of concrete and their testing, by getting acquainted with concrete marking and requirements on their physical-mechanical properties and testing methods.
Binders and theoretical background of silicate structure, mining and processing of raw materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Classification and types of concrete. EN 206-1
2. Components of concrete. Aggregates.
3. Components of concrete. Water, cement.
4. Components of concrete. Additives into concrete.
5. Components of concrete. Admixtures to concrete.
6. Reinforcement of concrete.
7. Fresh concrete. Technological relations of concrete composition. Design of concrete composition.
8. Fresh concrete. Processing of fresh concrete.
9. Fresh concrete. Mixing, transport and placing of concrete.
10. Fresh concrete. Forming system and moulds. Compacting of fresh concrete.
11. Concrete. Hardening of concrete. Concrete curing.
12. Concrete. Properties of concrete. Porous structure of cement stone. Micromechanics of concrete.
13. Concrete. Properties of concrete. Strength of concrete. Steel cohesion to concrete. Concrete durability.
The aim of the subject is to acquaint the students with basic knowledge necessary for the task to design composition of concrete with demanded final properties. During lectures information will be presented concerning the basic properties of input raw materials for concrete manufacture and the testing methods. Afterwards the students will be familiarized with marking of concrete, demands concerning the physico-mechanical properties of concrete and with testing methods. The demands will be described for the composition of watertight concrete, frost resistant concrete and of concrete for roads, subsequently to the design of their composition.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.