Metal and Wood Materials
FAST-BJA010Acad. year: 2020/2021
With regard to metallic materials, students should become familiar with physical and mechanical properties of ferrous and non-ferrous metals, the technology of pig iron production, the issue of steel and cast iron will be explained. In addition, students will learn about the steel composition and steel alloying technology; based on the Fe-C diagram, they will get the details about the basis of thermal treatment of steels.
With the regard to wood based materials, students will get knowledge about various materials (solid wood, agglomerated wood, wood-based products), followed by the description of the macroscopic, microscopic and ultra-microscopic structure of wood and its basic chemical composition. Students will gain an overview of main physico-mechanical properties of wood and the basic defects of wood products.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring knowledge of metal and wooden materials, physico-mechanical properties, use in civil engineering, macro- and microstructure of wood and metals.
Knowledge of basic, physical-mechanical properties of metals and wood, main products of these materials used in the civil engineering industry, elementary knowledge of wood and metal structure.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Living tree species, wood quality grading, and usage of timber in structures, types of wood products.
2. Types of laminated wood, agglomerated wood with mineral or organic binder component.
3. Macroscopic features of wood, anisotropy of wood.
4. The microscopic wood structure, description of the basic elements of wood.
5. Submicroscopic structure of wood, composition of cellular elements, the chemical composition of wood.
6. Physical properties of wood, in particular regarding the moisture sorption/desorption, adsorption hysteresis, thermal properties.
7. The visco-elastic properties of wood, the strength characteristics.
8. Wood/timber defects.
9. Metals – classification, properties, production of pig iron.
10. Production of steel, labelling of steel for concrete and stainless steel, alloying of steel.
11. Cast-iron production, classification of cast-irons, types of metal melting processes.
12. The crystalline structure of iron, the structural components of steel, the system Fe-C, the thermal treatment of steel.
13. Non-ferrous metals, technical alloys.
Acquaintance of student with micro- and macrostructure of metal and wood materials, its physico-chemical properties. Main chapter is utilization of these materials in building industry.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.