FAST-BJA012Acad. year: 2020/2021
Quick setting gypsum, raw materials, theoretical principles of production.
The quick-setting gypsum production, anhydrite binders, slow-setting gypsum, Sorel’s magnesium cement, raw materials, preparation, properties.
Quick lime, raw materials, theoretical principles of production.
Kilns for burning of lime, technologic production systems.
Properties of quick lime, utilization in building industry.
Hydraulic lime, raw materials, technology of production, properties and utilization.
Cements, raw materials, calculation of raw mix, fuels, process of clinker burning.
Kilns for clinker burning. Heat balances of individual kiln systems.
Crushing and grinding of clinker, utilization of waste dust, main properties of Portland cement.
Mineralogy of clinker, Portland cement hydration.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring knowledge on the basics of physical chemistry from the field of physical states of substances, thermodynamics, reaction kinetics, processes on the interface boundaries, sorptive effects and basic exposure of the disperse systems, further by knowledge on silicate chemistry from the field of silicate structure, melt and glass theory, theory of reaction in the solid phase.
Basic knowledge of physics, chemistry and building materials, at the level of the first year of civil engineering in faculty of civil engineering BUT.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Quick setting gypsum, raw materials, and theoretical principles of production.
2. Manufacture of quick setting gypsum, properties and hydration of gypsum.
3. Gypsum binders, anhydrite binders, slow setting gypsum.
4. Quick lime, raw materials, theoretical principles of production.
5. Kilns for lime burning, technological production systems.
6. Properties of quick limes and their utilization in the building industry, in other branches of industry and ecology.
7. Hydraulic lime, raw materials, production, burning process and hydration, hydraulic lime utilization in the building industry.
8. Cements, raw materials, calculation of raw mix, methods of manufacture.
9. Raw mix preparation, fuels, and the process of Portland clinker burning. Utilization of secondary fuels.
10. Shaft kilns, rotary kilns, sintering grates for cement clinker burning.
11. Crushing and grinding of clinker, utilization of flue dust.
12. Clinker mineralogy and Portland cement hydration.
13. Special sorts of cements.Sorrel´s binder, raw materials, preparation, properties, utilization in building industry.
Brief fundamentals of General Physical Chemistry concerning the state of aggregates, thermodynamics, reaction kinetics, processes on boundaries between phases, sorption effects and basic phenomena of disperse systems – Fundamentals of Physical Chemistry of Silicate Structures, theory of melts and glass, theory of reactions in solid phase.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.