Timber Structures (M)
FAST-BOA015Acad. year: 2020/2021
Basic types of timber structures (TS), development prospects, standards for design of TS. Examples of realized TS.
Properties of wood and wood-based materials for structural purposes.
Spatial configuration of TS.
Rules of computer modelling of TS.
Basic types of strain of timber members and methods of their verification.
Limit states in TS.
Connections of TS.
Plane solid and truss structures – girders, frames and arches.
Rules of structural design and theoretical analysis, main structural details.
Securing TS against global loss of stability.
Wood houses. Problems of fire resistance of TS.
Production and assembly of TS.
Protection and maintenance of TS.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will get under control the aims of matter in
teachings, focused especially to problems of design of timber elements and timber structures.
Mathematics, structural mechanics, elasticity and plasticity, section characteristics, design principles of structures, loads of structural systems, structural materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic types of timber structures, standards for design and examples of realized timber structures. Properties of wood and wood-based materials for structural purposes.
2. Spatial configuration of timber structures, plane and spatial systems. Rules of computer modelling of timber structures
3. Limit states in timber structures, methods of verification. Basic types of strain of timber members and timber structural elements.
4. Connections of timber structures.
5. Plane solid and truss girders, frames and arches.
6. Timber houses. Production, assembling, protection and maintenance of timber structures.
7. Fire resistance.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquired knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.