FAST-BJA019Acad. year: 2020/2021
The objectives of the subject study is to improve the knowledge in the field of building ceramics, which is characterized by the great extend of different fire resistant materials and products of special ceramics. A part of education in the subject is to achieve also basic knowledge in the field of brick industry.
In the field of fire resistant materials the content of the subject discusses the assortment of mostly used alumo-silicate fire resisting materials, produced under utilization of natural and synthetic raw materials, of magnesite and dolomite products, of materials with high siliceous and high aluminous content, materials containing zirconates, materials containing carbon, i.e. materials with high heat resistance and products from pure oxides. Significant attention is paid also to non-shaped refractory materials and to refractory concrete, based on Portland cement and on aluminous cement. The students further will be acquainted with the production of ceramic lining materials (wall tiles, floor tiles), sanitary ceramics, stoneware and porcelain.
The lectures are accompanied by tutorials in laboratories.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring knowledge on brick production – specific procedure and variety of brick production, properties and assortment of brick products, the use of brick products, on specific methods of production technology and properties of ceramic facing components, aggregates, health ceramics, porcelain, ceramics glazing.
For successful completion of the course is absolutely necessary to pass the subject Ceramics and Ceramics - laboratories. The course is an extension of special ceramics of these items and assumes a basic knowledge of general regularities of ceramic body formation.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Brick products, their use and properties. Brick raw materials, demands concerning their properties.
2. Raw material preparation, beneficiation lines, homogenization. Shaping in brick industry, paste rheology, auger machine.
3. Drying and firing in brick industry. Properties of fired brick body in dependence on porosity.
4. Ceramic tiles.
6. Porcelain. Sanitary ceramics.
7. Engobes and glazes.
8. Refractory materials and their selected properties. testing of refractory materials.
9. Acidic refractory products – chamotte, silica. Basic refractory products.
10. Refractory castables based on Portland cement and aluminous cement.
11. Special refractory meterials. Silicon-carbide products, graphite and carbon products. Refractory materials from pure oxides.
Specificities of brick production – concrete progress and varieties of bricks manufacture, acquainting with properties and assortment of brick products. Relation between porosity of brick body and resulting utility properties of the body.Concrete procedures of production technology and properties of ceramic coating elements, stoneware, sanitary ceramics, china, glazing of ceramic. Orientation in basic tests of refractory, its properties and way of production.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.