Pedology and Irrigation
FAST-BSA005Acad. year: 2020/2021
Soil science in general, pedogenesis (pedogenetic factors and processes).
Basic soil properties - physical, mechanical and chemical properties of soils.
Hydropedology, soil moisture and soil moisture measurements.
Soil hydrostatics, adsorption, capillarity, swelling and soil water potential including methods of measurement.
History and importance of irrigation, reasons of drought, plant and water.
Determination of irrigation water demand, water resources, quality and treatment.
Sprinkle irrigation, irrigation facilities and machines. Lawn irrigation (parks, sport turf).
Localised irrigation - drip irrigation, automatic irrigation systems.
Fertilized irrigation, special irrigation - climatised, antifrost.
Institute of Landscape Water Management (VHK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Basic knowledge of pedology and irrigation, basic principles of irrigation.
Basic knowledge of physics, hydraulics and hydrology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to hydropedology, soil forming process.
2.–3. Soil forming factors and processes.
4. Physical, mechanic and chemical properties of soils.
5. Hydropedology - soil moisture and soil moisture measurements.
6. Soil hydrostatics - adsorption, capillarity, swelling, soil water potential.
7. History of irrigation, role and importance of irrigation, reasons of drought, plant and water, evapotranspiration, types of irrigation.
8. Irrigation water demand; water resources, quality and treatment.
9. Pumping stations, water distribution. Sprinkle irrigation, irrigation facilities and machines.
10. Lawn irrigation (parks, sport turf). Automated irrigation systems.
11. Micro-irrigation, drip irrigation. Irigatin of orchards, vineyards, vegetables.
12. Gravitational, fertilized and special types of irrigation. Climatic and antifrost irrigation.
Basic knowledge of soil science
Classification of soils in ČR
Basic knowledge of hydropedology
Basic soil analyses
Methods of irrigation
Calculation of water demand
Simple designs of used irrigation methods
Overview of irrigation products and systems used in CR
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.