Building Constructions 2 (S)
FAST-BHB004Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course follows up previous courses and its aim is to deepen the knowledge of students in the field of building design. It’s mainly focused on the design of horizontal load-bearing structures and foundations. While at the exact same time it’s expected to teach students about substructure, damp proof course, expansion joints and about protection against radon gas activity, among others.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student copes design of staircase construction, turn construction, areal strairs bases.
Knowledge of the subject BH001 Building Construction 1. At the same time, it is assumed knowledge of constructive geometry, structural mechanics, statics of building structures, elasticity and plasticity.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Horizontal load-bearing structures – functional and mechanical requirements. Connections of horizontal and vertical load-bearing structures. Spandrel beams. Vaults – structural solution, mechanical acting of vaults.
2. Horizontal load-bearing structures – cast-in-place slabs.
3. Horizontal load-bearing structures – prefabricated (precast) and half prefabricated slabs.
4. Horizontal load-bearing structures – timber joist ceilings, metal ceilings, composite slabs.
5. Overhanging and recessed structures – balcony, loggia, portico, oriel windows and cornices – material solutions, mechanical requirements, thermal design.
6. Groundworks and excavations. Founding soil. Construction and hydrogeological survey.
7. Shallow foundations – classification and structural solutions.
8. Shallow foundations – specific criterions of founding.
9. Deep foundations – classification and structural solutions. Retaining walls.
10. Foundation construction on property boundaries. Expansion joints, settlement joints and construction joints in load bearing and non-loadbearing structures.
11. Substructure. Damp proofing – basic criterion and requirements.
12. Damp proofing – specific/exceptional requirements. Protection against radon gas infiltration.
The aim of this course is to give students complex knowledge about foundations designing (shallow, deep and special foundationts) as about the static unit alltogether with the upper construction and foundation lower beds. The ability to design safe and economical foundation is insisted. Staircase is considered to be one of the most exposed aeras within various buildings. There for correct staircase design and realization from the constructional, safety and hygienic point of view is essential.Correct foundation and staircase design requires knowledge about adjacent building constructions. In unison also knowledge about other disciplines such as bilding materials, statics etc. is lectured. That is why the aim of this course is to teach learners to work with technical informations within specific issue and to apply such knowledge.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-SI Bachelor's
specialization VS , 2. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BKC-SI Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPA-SI Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPC-MI Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory