Binders 1 - Theoretical Principles of the Structure of Silicate (M)
FAST-BJB001Acad. year: 2020/2021
Chemical equilibrium, Guldberg-Waag law, equilibrium system, reaction isotherm. State behavior of liquids, surface phenomena, cohesive pressure, transport phenomena in liquids.
Phase equilibrium, single-component system, Gibbs phase law, two-component system.
Heterogeneous systems of one-, two- and multi-component, solubility of gases in liquids.
Solid phase system - gas, solid phase - liquid phase, ternary systems.
Electrochemistry, Faraday's laws, molar conductivity of weak and strong electrolytes.
Wheatstone bridge, dissociation and hydrolysis, ionic product of water, galvanic cells.
Dispersion systems, distribution, basic physical properties, coagulation, zeta-potential.
Reaction kinetics, order and molecularity of reaction, reaction of 1st, 2nd and higher orders, catalysts.
Structure of silicates, Pauling principles, basic structure.
Clay minerals, structure, classification, binding of water in clay minerals.
Structure and properties of silicate melts, melt crystallisation, glass structure.
Heterogeneous equilibrium in silicate systems, solid state reaction.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring knowledge on theoretical and technological backgrounds for the production of inorganic construction binding material, namely chemistry and technology of plastering, lime burning and cement industry.
Basic knowledge of physics, chemistry and building materials, at the level of the first year of civil engineering in the faculty of civil engineering BUT.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Chemical equilibria, the Guldberg-Waag Law, systems outside of equilibrium, reaction isotherm.
2. State behaviour of liquids, surface effects, cohesion pressure, transport processes in liquids.
3. Phase equilibria, one component system, Gibbs Law of phases, system with two components.
4. Heterogeneous one-, two- and more-components systems, solubility of gases in liquids.
5. The systems: solid phase-gas, solid phase-liquid phase, ternary systems.
6. Electrochemistry, Faradays Laws, molar conductivity of weak and strong electrolytes, the Wheatstone´s bridge, dissociation and hydrolysis, ionic product of water, galvanic elements.
7. Disperse systems, division, basic physical properties, coagulation, zeta-potential.
8. Reaction kinetics, order and molecularity of reaction, reactions of 1st, 2nd, and higher orders, catalysts.
9. Structure of silicates, Pauling´s principles, basic structural arrangement.
10. Clay minerals, structural arrangement. Classification of clay minerals, water bond in clay minerals.
11. Classification of clay minerals, water bond in clay minerals.
12. Structure and the properties of silicate melt. Melt crystallisation, the structure of glass.Heterogeneous equilibria in silicate systems, reactions in solid state.
Theoretical and Technological Fundamentals of Inorganic Building Binders, namely the chemistry and technology of plaster, lime and cement manufacture.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer