Mining and Processing of Raw Materials (M)
FAST-BJB003Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course includes the field of general mining issues, quarries, and the preparation of mineral raw materials for a wide application in building industry.
Technological, physico-mechanical properties of rocks, distribution of rocks according to assessment criteria, geological exploration works, modern exploration methods of rocks, protection of the environment.
General rules of the law applicable to opening the quarry according to the rules of the Upper Law, elaboration of the Plan of preparation, opening and extraction of raw materials.
Problems of disintegration of raw materials, mining and breaking methods, control of granulometry of rocks during blasting.
Design of selected types of blast operations.
Proposal of transportation of raw materials.
Tools for blasting operation.
Sand and gravel mining, mining of clay and loamy raw materials for the brick and ceramic industries.
Grinding, crushing and sorting of raw materials, arrangement of crushers, mills and screeners.
Basic types of land reclamation disrupted by mining.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring knowledge on the problems of extracting raw materials in civil engineering, on methods of extracting the stones, gravel, sand, ceramic raw material, finishing methods for raw materials, quality evaluation of raw materials, composition of raw material mixtures.
Basic knowledge of physics, chemistry, geology and building materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Utilization of mineral raw materials in the building industry, protection of the environment.
2. Physical and mechanical properties of rocks, tests of aggregates, utility properties of rocks and effectiveness of exploitation.
3. Project of preparation, development and exploitation in the quarry, protected area.
4. Exploitation space, utilization of rocks, technology of raw materials mining.
5. Raw material resources, striping, mining methods for rocks.
6. Mass blasts, blast design, facilities for blasting work.
7. Muck transport, vehicle fleet, technology of treatment.
8. Technological treatment of raw material, disintegration, principles of machinery for treatment.
9. Grinding, grinding curve, effectiveness of the grinding process.
10. Technological parameters of grinding plants, circulation number, effectiveness of grinding.
11. Special preparation procedures, micro-grinding, separation.
12. Classification, raw material separation, grist parameters, recycling of building waste, grounding, treatment, sieving. Recultivaton after excavation. Environmental impact, primary material sources.
Problems of mineral raw materials mining, effectiveness of exploitation and processing of raw materials in building industry; Methods of stone, gravel, sand and ceramic raw materials mining; methods of raw materials dressing, evaluation of raw materials quality; compounding of raw material mixtures.General regularities of processing methods; Technological properties of processing lines; Technological properties of raw materials and their testing.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.